What's new

UHD Sony needs your input for "Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection Volume 2" (1 Viewer)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
The fake zip code plus a fake street address is how I fool some sites into letting me purchase HD music. Once in, some sites don't seem to worry that I'm using a Australian credit card for my purchase. The only site I've found which seems determined to stop Australians enjoying high definition music is HD Tracks. How stupid this region coding is. And how shocking that I can fool people into accepting my money!
I wouldn't have to try of course, if HD titles were available for sale in Australia. But that will never happen, it seems.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Well for me the choice was Picnic,Funny Girl and Guns of N.
Sad but not unexpected to see no reference to Lord Jim, Barabbas or Mackenna's Gold, their only wide gauge properties.
Restored they would make great 4k transfers.
Instead we get "Not another Teen Movie!"

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I wonder what condition the elements of "Cover Girl" are in. The Twilight Time blu ray was only fair as I
recall. Have better elements been found or have digital restoration tools improved since that release ?
There is also the UK Masters of Cinema blu ray of the film which was better reviewed than the Twilight Time release.

I had the Twilight Time Blu Ray of Cover Girl, but I gave it away once I got the Eureka! Masters of Cinema version. The difference was dramatic.

The Masters of Cinema back cover says it's from a "new 4K restoration," and while I know no specifics of what materials were used, I can say it looks sensational. I often use it as a demo - the colors in some sequences are hypnotic.

It's a dual disc edition: the DVD is NTSC region 2, and the Blu Ray is region B. So, if you have an all region player for either DVD's or Blu Rays, get it as soon as you can. I see that Amazon UK is again shipping to the US:

Trust me - once you've seen the Masters of Cinema version, the TT version is painful to look at (unfortunately).

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Not only is Amazon.uk and other Europeans countries shipping to the US back but the shipping cost is back down to pre virus rates. 3+ pounds for 1st disk vs 14 + pounds for 1st disc. Slower more affordable shipping is back.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Not only is Amazon.uk and other Europeans countries shipping to the US back but the shipping cost is back down to pre virus rates. 3+ pounds for 1st disk vs 14 + pounds for 1st disc. Slower more affordable shipping is back.

Odd. It only seems to let me choose the cheaper standard shipping for an order w/ that Cover Girl BD if I order that alone w/ nothing else. I had a whole bunch of BDs in my cart that would get standard shipping rate (and I checked just now), but as soon as I include Cover Girl even w/ just 1 of the cheapest (single, not boxset) BDs in that batch, it won't let me use the cheaper standard shipping.

And everything in my batch is sold by Amazon UK, not 3rd party sellers (whether fulfilled by Amazon UK or not).

OK, just noticed the Cover Girl BD is currently only available from 3rd party sellers even though it can be fulfilled by Amazon UK (and get the VAT deduction). That probably explains it. Hadn't doublechecked/realized that before...

I would love 4K releases of THE LAST EMPEROR and NICOLAS AND ALEXANDER

I could definitely go for The Last Emperor IF it's actually OAR. I already reluctantly bought the not-OAR Criterion BD. Not doing that for a 4K release.

_Man_

Last edited:

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I suspect a surprising number of people on this forum would enjoy seeing a naked Chris Evans covered in whipped cream in 4K .

And yes I would too but not at the expense of the titles I mentioned.
Does " Not a ....teen movie" need 4k even with Chris Evans in whipped cream.

plektret

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
4k is a waste for many (most) of these films. There’s little rationale for a second volume. Actually little for a first.
I would appreciate a more naturally rendered grain structure than what h264 on a BD50 is capable of (David M and WAC comes close to perfection though), regardless if there would be more 'detail' or not in the picture. To me, old grainy movies are the ones most in need of UHD releases, but I'm probably in minority.

DigniT@DigniT!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
FUNNY GIRL, THE WHO’S TOMMY, TO SIR WITH LOVE, SCHOOL DAZE, ADVISE and CONSENT, NICHOLAS and ALEXANDRA, A PASSAGE TO INDIA, KRAMER vs KRAMER, LOST HORIZON, THE GOLDEN VOYAGE of SINBAD, ROBIN and MARIAN,

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
FUNNY GIRL, THE WHO’S TOMMY, TO SIR WITH LOVE, SCHOOL DAZE, ADVISE and CONSENT, NICHOLAS and ALEXANDRA, A PASSAGE TO INDIA, KRAMER vs KRAMER, LOST HORIZON, THE GOLDEN VOYAGE of SINBAD, ROBIN and MARIAN,

I'm guessing you think this is the "What Would You Like to See in Volume 3"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks