What's new

UHD Sony needs your input for "Columbia Classics 4K Ultra HD Collection Volume 2" (1 Viewer)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
4k is a waste for many (most) of these films. There’s little rationale for a second volume. Actually little for a first.

I presume that obscure film about T. E. Lawrence would be the "little" rationale you allowed for the first volume. :)

But I second atcolomb's query: Mr. Harris, what titles would you like Columbia/Sony to release on 4K, and to help us all learn, what would be your rationale for YOUR choices?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What about "Guns of Navarone"?

I'd probably not. It's a rather grainy Eastman film. Blu-ray does it justice.

So...

Off the top of my head, Lord Jim, McKenna's Gold. A few titles in VVLA, but nothing that would probably sell.

I'm not a big fan of 4k, just for the sake of 4k. A properly produced Blu-ray can be quite nice.

Certain musicals, ie Funny Girl (Harry Stradling), and Oliver! (Oswald Morris) could be pretty.
Going a bit further, possibly The Taming of the Shrew.

Fox has more large format appropriate product. Ditto WB and Paramount.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not a big fan of 4k, just for the sake of 4k. A properly produced Blu-ray can be quite nice.

Certain musicals, ie Funny Girl (Harry Stradling), and Oliver! (Oswald Morris) could be pretty.
Going a bit further, possibly The Taming of the Shrew.

Fox has more large format appropriate product. Ditto WB and Paramount.
Debbie Downer! :laugh:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Not a fan of this type of boxed set. Allow people to purchase the films they desire.

Some boxed sets make sense, ie Criterion’s Bergman.

But to release a boxed set in order to release a boxed set?

Don’t think so. Unless it has the most famous Columbia film - ever!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Volume 1 sold out quickly. Was it limited to 2000 copies? Here's hoping Columbia releases the films from Volume 1 individually in time for the holiday season. Not sure why they are not out already .

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Some curious ones there like The Karate Kid: Part II and So I Married an Axe Murderer. Both great films but didn't expect either of them to be part of a commemorative set. Of the more contemporary films, I think Ghost Rider is the one that would benefit the most from the 4K treatment (some great special effects in that one) and I don't think the other two I mentioned are likely to be released in 4K under different circumstances so those are my three.

I haven't seen any of the films from the first list so I can't vote on that one.
"Karate Kid" , "Axe Murder" very lame choice for commemorative box sets.........

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I forgot this one for a 4K UHD release.
THE CAINE MUTINY.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, I admit I'm not a die-hard 4K fan although I have a 65" OLED that will play it back. I think the best Blu-rays actually look better. But I would love to add LORD JIM to the Sony list. I guess it hasn't even hit Blu-ray yet because the elements are bad.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
4k is a waste for many (most) of these films. There’s little rationale for a second volume. Actually little for a first.

Do you not feel that the LAWRENCE OF ARABIA release is a worthy upgrade from Blu-ray?

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
"Karate Kid" , "Axe Murder" very lame choice for commemorative box sets.........

This whole concept falls way short of what I think a "commemorative" Columbia box set should be anyway so I'm just going for the ones in the lists that I'd like to see in 4K but don't stand a snowball's chance in hell of getting a 4K release any other way.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Well, I admit I'm not a die-hard 4K fan although I have a 65" OLED that will play it back. I think the best Blu-rays actually look better. But I would love to add LORD JIM to the Sony list. I guess it hasn't even hit Blu-ray yet because the elements are bad.
I have a region free bluray of LORD JIM bought on Amazon. Selling now for 28.69.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks