Sony nc650v or nc655p?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnE, Jul 19, 2002.

1. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I'm looking to upgrade the old dvd player and the SOny nc650v and the nc655p are the two models I'm looking at. I don't have an HD tv right now and probably won't any time soon. I do want vcd/svcd playback, random play for mp3's, good sound, and a nice looking picture. I'm willing to spend up to $300.

Does anyone have a recommendation? If not these models, some other? Thanks.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, I can't comment on the two changers in terms of picture quality. My guess is that they are very similar in interlaced mode. Perhaps someone can comment if Sony made a major change in the video section in going to the 'NC655P, aside from the addition of progressive-scan output. You might get the 'NC655P to have progressive-scan capability for the future. On the other hand, the 'NC650V plays SACDs, which is worth having in my opinion. SACDs sound much more natural than CDs. If music is important to you, take a good look at the 'NC650V. Thus far, Sony has not announced the release of a progressive-scan replacement of the 'NC650V.

3. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Keith, thanks for the input. Does SACD really sound that much better? Music is a really big deal for me so SACD could have a bigger influence on my decision than progressive scan. Anyway thanks again for any thoughts on the subject.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

John, SACD is definitely better than CD on a good system. Give it a try!