Sony Music wants to do DVD-A, Sony corp. says NO!?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Michael St. Clair, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Michael St. Clair

http://www.stereophile.com/news/080904dualdisc/

Here's hoping to a successful launch. Let's face it, mainstream success will mean more titles. I'll settle for a niche if I have to, but I'm tired of looking at my CD rack and realizing that over 95% of those discs have never been released in high-res.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

How do you know? Has there been anyone quoted on the record that hirez is a critical part?

I ask the question because it seems the video features are the current focus.

I really hope that DualDisc offers more hirez titles so we get more selection, but the recent news stories have raised doubts in my mind.

There's also another option here. Sony can add DVDA to DualDisc but remain focused on niche Super Audio development. I suspect they won't due to strategic reasons however.

3. Michael St. Clair

Is there anything proof positive? Nope. But you ignore everything that lends optimism. Same as it ever was.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

This can be solved with the new technology I discuss in another thread (more recent article) so maybe there is a solution here....go universal and DualDisc has DVDA wrt Warner, Universal and SACD for Sony, BMG...both have the video features. I do agree that one standard and adhered to specification would be better for the industry and the consumer, however you can't fault Sony or Philips for not giving away SACD for the sake of a competing product.

I really hope Mazer is right but I remain cautiously optimistic until the big launch. I think it is safe to say that royalty/legal entanglements may play a role here.

I say all of this not to be negative on any new format but to be a realist on what the terribly uncoordinated music industry can really do at the end of the day.

I'm not against DVDA or trying at all to spin everything in a pro-SACD fashion. As I have said on many occasions, I would love to have ANY hirez of Van Morrison and some of the other important artists that Warner is inexplicaby sitting on. In other words, I'm not anti-hirez or anti-DVDA at all but perhaps anti-Warner for the time being. I also wish Sony would do more on the software front.

5. Michael St. Clair

Why is Sony 'inexplicably' sitting on Bruce Springsteen?

The fact is, there can be rights/management/royalty issues involved, and if we aren't party to the details, we can't automatically blame the labels.

6. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

I read most of the hi-rez, dvd-a and sacd threads on here, and I want to know one thing. Are the two of you on each others friends list? [​IMG] Just kidding.

I would love to have more of my cd's on a hi-rez format. And I think all of us dont want to have to start buying annother format, cause I dont want to have to replace all my DVD-A's in the long run. I have ceased to buy any more for fear of a dead format. But I wouldnt mind buying a new format if they would deciede on one as a whole, stick with it, and stop trying to force their own format on us, as Sony is notorious for. It's obvious to me at this point that to them, Im not a consumer, Im a wallet, and they dont care as long as I'm open.

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I think it my be too harsh to criticize Sony alone. Apple, Warner, NEC and Toshiba do this to varying degrees as well. I think in Sony's case they believe that DSD is the better format and they have invested a lot of money in it so they want a return for their shareholders and believe it can win market share in at least a niche of the business. The audiophile support for DSD/SACD remains strong.

8. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I think you should do the opposite.

I don't see uniplayers going away anytime soon since the manufacturers already know how to build 'em, but whether or not the SW keeps on a comin' is surely open to question.

When I see a title I want, I don't sit on my hands, I whip out the Amex.

BGL

9. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

But Sony is notorious for pumping their own technologies and has grandiose ideas about how their format should always be the chosen format for everyone else and they don't budge and find middle ground. Now granted, I love Sony, they make a lot of great things, and they are in my opinion a trusted electronics manufacturer. But their business ethics are too cutthroat and put a burden on Consumers and hold up the development of widespread technologies.

10. Michael St. Clair

I think in Sony's case, corporate views DVD-A as the competition, so they have decided to let the consumers, and their own record label, be damned.

Sony Music is the division that is in the business of selling music. Let them decide.

Besides, your argument rings false. Even if Sony (corporate) believes SACD is better, they could do the consumer-friendly thing as Universal has and support both formats and let the music decide.

It's not surprising. Look at their new portable hard-drive based player. Despite MP3 being the totally dominant compressed music format, Sony will not support it. MP3 is a standard.

If Sony really only allows quality to determine which formats they support, would they open an online music store which only sells lossy, compressed ATRAC songs?

Quality? Please. That attribute does not factor into corporate decisions. Sony will support what they own.

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I don't think quality is always the key - I think Sony is smart enough to have different strategies for different markets. They are doing a "barbell approach" - with SACD I think they are targeting affluent audiophiles and with ATRAC they are targeting more moderate income/downloadable music market where quality is less of an issue.

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Face it guys, Sony AND Warner Brudders are F___ing up the music market. I do not blame one more than the other. If I knew more... hmnn, I might? The two of them should kiss and make-up, FOR THEIR COMMON GOOD! I don't blame Sony for forbidding DVD-A if Warner is stille refusing to make SA-CD's anywhere besides Hong Kong....which they may have sworn off...?

Somebody needs to get the executives of these two num-nut corporations together to discuss their future welfare. If the, now, "big four" can't aggree, totally (!), on formats, it would seem their industry is going to erode away some for it. The public is pretty peeved and unsympathetic with the industry anyway. The Sony versus Warner feud needs to end, for their own good![​IMG]

13. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

It's ironic that Sony Music wants to release DVD-As when they've done such a piss-poor job of releasing SACDs during the last few years (at least with classical). Sony Classical rarely makes a new recording; they only seem to record Yo-Yo Ma and Murray Perahia at this point. They've also fallen back into a rut of repackaging recordings that have never been out of print for reissues. What they should do is come out with a midprice SACD hybrid reissues series that does more than repackage Glenn Gould playing Bach and Leonard Bernstein conducting 20th C. American.

14. charles white

charles white Second Unit

The whole situation has become such a non issue to me. Do I want high-res audio? You bet! Should the Compact Disc be retired after 20 years for something better? Absolutely! But since the flow of DVD-A's and SACDs have all but stopped, I just went back to shopping for CDs, since they're not going away anytime soon and they may be with us for another 20 years.

15. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

..kinda what Charles said....I can't remember the last DVD-A or SACD I purchased...seems the well is drying up.

16. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

No way, the record companies are loosing too much money on them now. people are burning copies for their friends, ripping the albums and zipping them to be uploaded online. why do you think they are putting so much effort into making dvd-a's and sacd's have copy protection? And thats only gonna last until someone breaks into the code's on those. But they are looking for something that HAS to be bought by everyone who wants a copy, not just someone who is willing to let a freind burn a copy for them.

17. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

I wish this was the case. There is so much good jazz and classical that I am rationing my purchase dollars. I have more to but than I can literally afford.

I believe we will see more titles in the Fall/Winter which has historically been a period of heavy release.

[​IMG]

18. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Brian, where do you shop for hi-rez? I'm like Lee, on this there's more SA-CD's coming out that I want than I can buy. I'm mulling about trying to decide wheather to buy all 10 of the latest Fantasy releases. I recently got: Allman Brothers, Incubus, David Sanchez, Mostly Autumn, Uriah Heep, The Animals. The first of The Kinks discs are available and I'm mulling on them too. I'm trying to decide which of the lot I want...they're not all released yet. The other Allman disc is soon. Hopefully, Sony has a new-found commitment to release again...? I'll be peeved if this last several were just for show. Classical and jazz do outnumber rock/R&B/kuntry&roll/rap releases by a huge margin but....

To me, it seems like things have kicked up a notch as of late for SA-CD. DVD-A/Dual-y stille seems stuck in the mud. Damn! I'm starting to sound like Lee! [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Cool, someone else here who has the Mostly Autumn SACD. I just hope they do a studio album in SACD at some point...

Jason

20. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Depends....I used to just go into Tower Records or Best Buy, but have also used Amazon and Ebay as well. I haven't found a "perfect" (best selection, lowest prices) place.

Additionally, what I'm hungering for is a site that keeps an up to date list of new SACD/DVD-A releases. I have a feeling I'm missing some.

Of course, looking for a good imports place too - Asia and Europe seem to get some releases that aren't out here (Wham in Japan, Frankie Goes to Hollywood in England).

Not like the MUSE discs where it was generally a one stop shop!