Sony mispackaging SACDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew W, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

I purchased Aerosmith's O, Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits today. It was in the clear and gold SACD slipcover with "Multichannel/Stereo" printed on it and it also had a "Single Layer/Multichannel" sticker on the outside of the shrink wrap.

But when I played it, it only offered stereo. Fine print on the spine says "stereo" which I totally missed since I was looking at all the other stickers.

This is a great sounding stereo SACD, but I should have got what was advertised on the package.

2. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Andrew, to my knowledge, this is the only mislabled Sony SACD. If you do a search on this forum you can find threads where we discussed the mislabeling of this disc at length. It threw quite a few people off when it was initially released.

While I feel this disc is an upgrade over the redbook counterparts on all of these tracks, the disc does sound quite cooked in comparison to other SACD's I own. In fact, I was playing Ryan Adam's "Gold" the other night and switched to the Aerosmith and was almost blown out of the room at the volume difference. I think the Aerosmith SACD is mixed at a far louder volume level than any other high rez disc in my collection. It's a shade bright on my system on some tracks as well (Angel in particular).

It's a good, but IMO, not great SACD.

3. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

The first two SACD CCR titles produced by Steve Hoffman also came out with Multichannel Labels on the front.

4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Some eary Jazz releases such as Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus are mislabeled as Hybrid Stereo discs, when in fact they are actually Hybrid mono.

J