Sony/MGM Question

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MichaelSloan, Jun 21, 2004.

1. MichaelSloan

MichaelSloan Stunt Coordinator

If Sony owns MGM does that mean Warner Home Video can't make DVDs of MGM movies anymore? I REALLY hope that's not so. Warner's so good at it. Sony's horrible at DVD's of a lot of their movies, just look at their Ray Harryhausen DVDs[​IMG]

2. MichaelSloan

MichaelSloan Stunt Coordinator

If Sony owns MGM does that mean Warner Home Video can't make DVDs of MGM movies anymore? I REALLY hope that's not so. Warner's so good at it. Sony's horrible at DVD's of a lot of their movies, just look at their Ray Harryhausen DVDs[​IMG]

3. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Warner totally owns the pre-1986 MGM catalog via Turner.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart
    Warner totally owns the pre-1986 MGM catalog via Turner.

5. EdgarNazaretyan

If thats so, how come Raging Bull (1980) is released under MGM, and if it was owned my Warner, wouldn't it be in the Scorcese Collection coming in August. Also The Great Escape (1963) was just released by MGM as well as The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly (1966). Trust me, I want Warner to own these movies as well, im just curious about your response.

6. EdgarNazaretyan

If thats so, how come Raging Bull (1980) is released under MGM, and if it was owned my Warner, wouldn't it be in the Scorcese Collection coming in August. Also The Great Escape (1963) was just released by MGM as well as The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly (1966). Trust me, I want Warner to own these movies as well, im just curious about your response.

7. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Edgar

Warner Brothers via Ted Turner owns the pre 1986 library of MGM films.

Raging Bull, The Great Escape and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly are not MGM films but United Artists films as are all the James Bond films. The Turner deal included the MGM films, not the United Artists library.

8. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Edgar

Warner Brothers via Ted Turner owns the pre 1986 library of MGM films.

Raging Bull, The Great Escape and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly are not MGM films but United Artists films as are all the James Bond films. The Turner deal included the MGM films, not the United Artists library.

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Raging Bull is a United Artists film. Same thing with the other two titles you mention. Warner DID buy ALL of MGM's holdings, but sold back everything except the MGM films, the AAP library (pre-1950 Warner Bros. features and shorts), and Gilligan's Island. This is why the current MGM still has the United Artists library, the United Artists Television library, and all that other stuff.

The only United Artists titles Warner has rights to are films owned by other entities or obtained by them. Examples are Stagecoach (Walter Wanger/Castle Hill), Around the World in 80 Days (Michael Todd's estate), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Saul Zaentz), and The Lord of the Rings (Zaentz).

10. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Raging Bull is a United Artists film. Same thing with the other two titles you mention. Warner DID buy ALL of MGM's holdings, but sold back everything except the MGM films, the AAP library (pre-1950 Warner Bros. features and shorts), and Gilligan's Island. This is why the current MGM still has the United Artists library, the United Artists Television library, and all that other stuff.

The only United Artists titles Warner has rights to are films owned by other entities or obtained by them. Examples are Stagecoach (Walter Wanger/Castle Hill), Around the World in 80 Days (Michael Todd's estate), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Saul Zaentz), and The Lord of the Rings (Zaentz).

11. EdgarNazaretyan

I see, thanks for explaining

-Edgar

12. EdgarNazaretyan

I see, thanks for explaining

-Edgar

13. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I guess this Sony/MGM merger isn't as concrete as once thought? Does anyone know how close they are to closing the deal?

14. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I guess this Sony/MGM merger isn't as concrete as once thought? Does anyone know how close they are to closing the deal?