What's new

Sony/MGM Question (1 Viewer)

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
If Sony owns MGM does that mean Warner Home Video can't make DVDs of MGM movies anymore? I REALLY hope that's not so. Warner's so good at it. Sony's horrible at DVD's of a lot of their movies, just look at their Ray Harryhausen DVDs:frowning:

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
If Sony owns MGM does that mean Warner Home Video can't make DVDs of MGM movies anymore? I REALLY hope that's not so. Warner's so good at it. Sony's horrible at DVD's of a lot of their movies, just look at their Ray Harryhausen DVDs:frowning:

If thats so, how come Raging Bull (1980) is released under MGM, and if it was owned my Warner, wouldn't it be in the Scorcese Collection coming in August. Also The Great Escape (1963) was just released by MGM as well as The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly (1966). Trust me, I want Warner to own these movies as well, im just curious about your response.

If thats so, how come Raging Bull (1980) is released under MGM, and if it was owned my Warner, wouldn't it be in the Scorcese Collection coming in August. Also The Great Escape (1963) was just released by MGM as well as The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly (1966). Trust me, I want Warner to own these movies as well, im just curious about your response.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Edgar

Warner Brothers via Ted Turner owns the pre 1986 library of MGM films.

Raging Bull, The Great Escape and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly are not MGM films but United Artists films as are all the James Bond films. The Turner deal included the MGM films, not the United Artists library.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Edgar

Warner Brothers via Ted Turner owns the pre 1986 library of MGM films.

Raging Bull, The Great Escape and The Good, The Bad And The Ugly are not MGM films but United Artists films as are all the James Bond films. The Turner deal included the MGM films, not the United Artists library.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Raging Bull is a United Artists film. Same thing with the other two titles you mention. Warner DID buy ALL of MGM's holdings, but sold back everything except the MGM films, the AAP library (pre-1950 Warner Bros. features and shorts), and Gilligan's Island. This is why the current MGM still has the United Artists library, the United Artists Television library, and all that other stuff.

The only United Artists titles Warner has rights to are films owned by other entities or obtained by them. Examples are Stagecoach (Walter Wanger/Castle Hill), Around the World in 80 Days (Michael Todd's estate), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Saul Zaentz), and The Lord of the Rings (Zaentz).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Real Name
Patrick McCart

Raging Bull is a United Artists film. Same thing with the other two titles you mention. Warner DID buy ALL of MGM's holdings, but sold back everything except the MGM films, the AAP library (pre-1950 Warner Bros. features and shorts), and Gilligan's Island. This is why the current MGM still has the United Artists library, the United Artists Television library, and all that other stuff.

The only United Artists titles Warner has rights to are films owned by other entities or obtained by them. Examples are Stagecoach (Walter Wanger/Castle Hill), Around the World in 80 Days (Michael Todd's estate), One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Saul Zaentz), and The Lord of the Rings (Zaentz).

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I guess this Sony/MGM merger isn't as concrete as once thought? Does anyone know how close they are to closing the deal?

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I guess this Sony/MGM merger isn't as concrete as once thought? Does anyone know how close they are to closing the deal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattpm
Recent bookmarks