What's new

Sony MDS-JE780 MD deck any good? (1 Viewer)

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Is the Sony MDS-JE780 MD deck any good? I'm currently looking for another deck and home decks seem to be very hard to find now. This looks like it was based on the cheaper 770. Currently I have a Sony 930 and a Pioneer 707 but I would like one for another room. Plus the gold finish matches most of my gear too!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tony, your profile says you are in San Francisco, but you should note that the 'JE780 is not available in the US. Where were you planning on getting one? There are very few home minidisc decks still available in the US. Crutchfield only has the Sony MXD-D40 now. Sony did release the 'JE480, 'JE780, and 'JB980 overseas, but not here in the States. :frowning:
By the way, I too have the Sony 'JB930, and it is a wonderful deck. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I know it's not available in the US. It's fairly easy to get stuff. I just call or fax a couple of different people/resellers/companies and a lot of time I get it within days. I've been getting most of my import gear this way for years. Most of them will even allow me to get warrenty support, as long as I send them the unit of course. It also help if you have a lot of different international contacts.

As for places that sell this on the web... Audiocubes.com has it for $450. Audiocubes is run by minidiscTstation and the Japanes company HyperJack.

The least expensive I can get the 780 is for $400 shipped 2 day from Japan.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Tony, thanks. That makes sense. As long as you have warranty support through a legitimate seller, you are good to go. I know that Sony in the US will not handle warranty repairs on foreign components.
I suppose that $400 isn't a bad price with shipping included. It is a shame, however, that it has come to this here in the US. :frowning:
Will you need a power converter for the 'JE780? One nice thing about getting a foreign component is that you get the gold chassis. That's very cool. Please let us know how you like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks