Sony lowers prices of SACDs (discs). (?)

Discussion in 'Music' started by KeithH, Aug 11, 2003.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I just got the latest weekly e-mail newsletter from Music Direct, which claims that Sony has (finally) lowered the prices of its SACDs. Music Direct is now selling single-disc titles for $16.99 and double-disc titles for $22.49. The newsletter states that Heart Alive in Seattle and the forthcoming Bob Dylan hybrids are not part of the price drop.

Does anyone know if the price drop is being adopted by all retailers and e-tailers? Can we expect to see a drop at Best Buy, for example? It seems to me that mail-order dealers like Music Direct, Acoustic Sounds, and Elusive Disc tend were a bit pricey on SACDs to begin with, so I am thinking that Best Buy will be cheaper if they adopt the price decrease.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Keith that seems like good news that is long overdue. I would expect that for places like Best Buy, it will be dependent on the store. Once local store where I am still has Warner DVD-As for $22.99 (which are naturally collecting dust) while another one has the same titles for $17.99.

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I hope this is the beginning of the end of single-layer So-ny SACD's. Sony has a bunch of SACD's on "indefinite delay" according to Music Direct. I hope they're gearing up for le disc du hybride production???...auh, only that is. I bet alot of the "lesser" titles on single-layer won't come back hybridized??? Stuff like Phil Lesh, Johnny Winter, Jorma Kaukonen, Tony Bennet & K.D. Lang ...the stuff that sells slower, has smaller names... take your best quess which ones they are or could/would be???

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil said:

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I'm wondering if Sony is finally feeling the pressure from competition. I picked up the Norah Jones SACD for the same price as a redbook CD. That was also the case for Dark Side of the Moon.

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I think this is great news. [​IMG]

I bet this is somehow related to all the new hybrid capacity now online. [​IMG]

Could also be part of a renewed Super Audio push in advance of the Dylan releases...

7. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

I'll start the DVD-A conspiracy theorys - reason for the price drop is SACD isn't selling [​IMG]

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

9. Michael St. Clair

10. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

How will this effect prices in Canada?

There's been very little movement of SACD prices in the last few years.

If they get their price down to a few dollars away from CD prices, I may pick up a few for a change.

I haven't purchased a SACD in well over a year.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I wonder if Sony is feeling pressure from Universal. Crest problems aside, Universal has turned out a number of great SACDs, many of which are hybrids, for less than Sony's single-layer discs.

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

13. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Its about time Sony reduced their pricing. There are quite a few discs I will be looking to pick up if the reduced pricing ever hits locally at Best Buy or Tower.

14. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, nice theory, but Sony Music has not produced hybrid discs at the Crest plant. The only hybrid SACDs on the Sony label that I am aware of are Heart Alive in Seattle and the Dylan sampler packaged with the Masked and Anonymous soundtrack. They were pressed at Sony's Terre Haute, IN plant. They aren't going to crack.

16. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Hee, hee. [​IMG]