SONY LCD TV and Comcast Component connections

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MarkHastings, Jun 30, 2005.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Before I call tech support, I figured I'd ask the pros here and see if anyone else has had similar issues with big tv's and cable connections.

I just bought a SONY KDF-E55A20 LCD tv and while I LOVE it, I am having some odd issues. My cable is coming out of the wall and is being split (one for the cable box and the other for the picture-in-picture).

The split (that goes directly to the tv) looks great. The other split goes into the cable box, then I use the component connection to go to the tv. The thing with the component connection is, the regular tv stations looks pretty bad. It almost looks like a bad interlacing issue. My digital channels and HD channels look a LOT better, but it's just those damn 'analog' channels (i.e. 2 - 78).

At first I thought it was my cable connections, but I've swapped them all around with the same results. Next, I tried the cable output as well as the s-video output of the cable box and they too look pretty bad. I've even bypassed the splitter and went directly to the cable box (and then to the tv through component) and still it looks bad.

Like I said, the only thing that looks good is the connection that doesn't go through the cable box. With that being said, it would appear that the cable box is 'funky', but my HD stations look BEAUTIFUL through the component connection. Also, my old tv was a widescreen Mits. 46" HD set (the older Rear Projection kind) and I never experienced this effect on that set (with the same cable box and connection setup).

Any ideas? Similar experiences???? I will try to call Comcast this weekend, but until then I wanted to pick the HT brains.

p.s. I've also gone through all of the tv menus and tried every single setting to see if I could get a better picture, but to no avail.

p.s.s. My DVD player is also connected through the component connections and it looks pretty good, so I highly doubt it's the tv or cables.

2. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

Low quality signal on a high quality display. Its only gonna spit out what you give it. Standard def dosent look very good on HD LCD's. The reason the picture in picture looks better is its smaller. Its not having to fill pixels that should not be filled. Chances are your old RPTV had CRT's in it which don't give you that pixelated effect you get with LCD's.

3. MarkHastings

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I plugged the cable (from the splitter) directly into the tv so I could use the PIP, but the quality looks GREAT when I watch tv (in full mode and not as PIP) off of that input. Switching between that direct connection and the cable box connection is a major difference.

p.s. I guess the alternative is to watch the regular stations off the direct cable connection, but I lose the digital tv guide this way (because I'm bypassing the cable box).

4. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

How are you getting PIP? I didn't think the A20 had it.

5. MarkHastings

Sorry, I may have wrote the wrong number down. I forgot the model # so I looked on SONY's site for my tv and the A20 looks like the new model. I think mine is the KDF-55WF655