What's new

Sony LCD RP & "Red Blob" (1 Viewer)

Zach

Agent
The attack of the red blob! Well...maybe that's an overstatement, but last night I noticed what can only be described as a 2", nearly-round red blob on the screen of my Sony KF60WE610 RP LCD tv.

It's most noticeable when the screen is black or very dark. It's not bright red either...more of a muted purplish-red. I thought maybe I was overreacting when I called Sony to demand a "cure", but even my wife noticed...so I know this isn't a case of "overly-sensitive, out-of-control, audio-videoholism".

It appears in the same spot regardless of the input and regardless of the connection method.

Any ideas on what this might be? My local Sony service center is sending somebody out on Tuesday. It's still under warranty for 1 month, so I didn't want to sit on this.

Z

Zach

Agent
UPDATE: Tech came out...spent 5-10 mins. looking at it...never dismantled anything and said he'd have to call Sony. "I've never seen this on a Sony LCD set."

Great. Soonest he'll get back to me is after the new year.

So, it looks like I'll be taking the "blob" with me into 2005!! :frowning:

RickGr

Second Unit
Sounds like a bad light engine. If you look close at the blob you should see many pixels that are stuck on (or off). This is a problem that has been popping up on some LCD sets. Read more in the AVS forums.
The fix only takes about an hour for the service man to do.

Zach

Agent
Rick - Let's hope you're right!

I've got a hypothetical for you all. My one year warranty expires on January 26, 2005. Am I responsible for the repair costs if the work is done after this date? Or am I covered because the issue was reported before the expiration date?

If it's the former, maybe I now know why they can't "get back to" me till January some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks