Sony LCD RP & "Red Blob"

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Zach, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Zach

Zach Agent

The attack of the red blob! Well...maybe that's an overstatement, but last night I noticed what can only be described as a 2", nearly-round red blob on the screen of my Sony KF60WE610 RP LCD tv.

It's most noticeable when the screen is black or very dark. It's not bright red either...more of a muted purplish-red. I thought maybe I was overreacting when I called Sony to demand a "cure", but even my wife noticed...so I know this isn't a case of "overly-sensitive, out-of-control, audio-videoholism".

It appears in the same spot regardless of the input and regardless of the connection method.

Any ideas on what this might be? My local Sony service center is sending somebody out on Tuesday. It's still under warranty for 1 month, so I didn't want to sit on this.

Z

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Sounds like a stuck pixel to me.

3. andrew lewis

andrew lewis Agent

A 2" round pixel? Doubt it.

4. Zach

Zach Agent

UPDATE: Tech came out...spent 5-10 mins. looking at it...never dismantled anything and said he'd have to call Sony. "I've never seen this on a Sony LCD set."

Great. Soonest he'll get back to me is after the new year.

So, it looks like I'll be taking the "blob" with me into 2005!! [​IMG]

5. RickGr

RickGr Second Unit

Sounds like a bad light engine. If you look close at the blob you should see many pixels that are stuck on (or off). This is a problem that has been popping up on some LCD sets. Read more in the AVS forums.
    The fix only takes about an hour for the service man to do.

6. Zach

Zach Agent

Rick - Let's hope you're right!

I've got a hypothetical for you all. My one year warranty expires on January 26, 2005. Am I responsible for the repair costs if the work is done after this date? Or am I covered because the issue was reported before the expiration date?

If it's the former, maybe I now know why they can't "get back to" me till January some time.