Sony LCD Rear Projection bulb problems

Discussion in 'Displays' started by dave*clark, Jan 25, 2004.

1. dave*clark

dave*clark Auditioning

Hi, I'm brand new to this and I'm sure this question has been answered numerous times. I dearly want to purchase the Sony 42" LCD rear projection tv but I am leary about the bulb problem. Has it been corrected? Am I over reacting and it's not a big of a problem that I have been reading about.? Thanks in advance. I really love this set!

By the way, I contacted Sony yesterday and the response I got was they knew of no such problem!!!

2. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

Dave,
    I've had a 50 inch GWIII since Oct and I've not had any problems with the TV. Bulb or otherwise. I was told that the bulb should last 8000-10,000 hours if that helps any.

3. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

It seems from information posted at other websites, Sony shut down production in order to fix this problem. Apparently, if you can find a unit with a build date of January (or later, I suppose, in the next few months) you'll be fine. Most stores are out of stock right now (due to the shutdown), so be weary of units currently in stock. A prominent store (*cough* Best Buy) has apparently been taking defective returns, putting them on the floor and selling them as floor models "as is". Unfortunately, the build date is not noted on the outside of the package, you'll have to wait to open up the box.

I'm in the same boat. I'm going to wait a few months (which coincides with my finances catching up...) to see if the problems have been worked out.

That said, there are many happy owners out there. So, as with any electronics product, your mileage may vary.

Check AVSForum for a ton of information about this problem.

4. dave*clark

dave*clark Auditioning

Thanks guys. Two more quick questions. Where do I find the date it was manufactured and what is AVS forum?

5. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Here's another thread that has references to the avsforum Sony LCD projector threads (My post).