Sony LCD aspect ratio problem.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ErikM, Nov 23, 2005.

1. ErikM

ErikM Auditioning

I just bought the Sony 50" LCD Projection TV model KDFE50A10. I love the set, HD looks incredible as do DVD's, but I seem to be having a little trouble with the aspect ratios of the DVD's. Am I crazy or if I am playing a DVD with a 1.85:1 aspect ratio shouldn't I still have black bars on the top and bottom? If I hook up my DVD player with component cables and set the DVD player to display on a 16:9 TV I get no black bars. If I put in a DVD that is 2.35:1 I get black bars, but when I take measurements of the picture the aspect ratio is still off. I've tried everything I can think of and nothing seems to get the right aspect ratio. Has anyone else had this problem.
    for info I am using a Pioneer 563A DVD player which is Progresive scan.
    Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

I'm assuming that TV is 16:9 widescreen? If so, 1.85:1 will not have black bars, and 2.35:1 films will. Just like you describe.

3. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

The normal overscan on a TV will usually hide the very small bars that would be present on a 1.85:1 movie. Service menu adjustments could minimize overscan on a CRT based set but on a fixed-pixel display this might degrade the image if it even possible. (height and width adjustments don't mean the same thing as a CRT)

4. ErikM

ErikM Auditioning

Thanks that what I figured but the math didn't work out.
    Good to know nothing is wrong.
    Thanks again