What's new

Sony LCD 55WF655 (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I'm strongly attracted to this model but my one concern is how it handles 4:3. I went to two CC and two BBs today. Despite selling it neither of the BBs even had the unit on display.

Neither of the CCs could show me 4:3 in it's native format (oddly both put on the exact same channel when asked and seemed unable to select anything else I requested -- like CNN). Is it possible to see 4:3 in it's proper dimensions on this set? All we could get was either streched, zoomed, and stretched and zoomed.

I'm trading in my Tosh DLP due to RBE sickness and I really like the mode which only stretches out the edges while keeping the primary part of the image intact. Can this TV do this? Any others?

Thanks,

-paul

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

The 55" is the same as the 60 and the 50 and the 42 ...

They all have a 4:3 mode and a wide zoom mode that does the gradual stretch.

Regards

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,

I have the 60WF655, which I purchased after seeing my buddy's 55WF655. I am extremely happy with the TV. My father subsequently purchased the 42WE655 (which I haven't seen yet). So I recommend this TV.

Sony has the manual available online if you wish to look at it.

You can watch 4:3 material in 4 modes (page 70 of the manual):

"Wide zoom enlarges the center portion of the picture. The left and right edges of the picture are streched to fill the 16:9 screen.
Normal displays the 4:3 picture in its original size. Side bars are shown to fill the 16:9 screen.
Full stretches the 4:3 picture horizontally, to fill the 16:9 screen.
Zoom enlarges the 4:4 picture proportionately to fill the 16:9 screen. Zoom is useful for watching Letterbox movies."

Yes, "Wide zoom" mode.

Finally, if you go back to the store: "Press Wide (on the remote control) repeatedly to toggle through the...screen mode settings." Since the salespeople can't seem to figure it out.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Thanks guys, and for directing me to the manual online.

I wasn't sure about the zooming in and doing the gradual strech but when I played with my Toshiba I realized it zoomed in the image slightly as well. So I will go with this set. (I should have in the first place, always been a Sony man!)

I would really like to get the 60" but my wife says it's "too damn big" and the 55" is already more than we wanted to spend.

-paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks