What's new

Sony launches three new 4k HDR projectors (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Sony will be expanding its lineup of 4K HDR capable home theater projectors with the launch of three new models incorporating its unique native 4K SXRD panels*16. The compact design*17 VPL-VW760ES features a built-in laser light source and reproduces highly fidelity, high contrast images that allow users to enjoy stunning 4K HDR images, even during the darkest and brightest scenes

Also to be launched are the VPL-VW360ES, with an adjustable image quality function to suit various types of viewing content, and the high cost-performance model VPL-VW260ES, that enables users to enjoy immersive and authentic 4K HDR images.

• *16: Native 4K SXRD panels refer to organic 8.85 megapixel (4,096 horizontal x 2,160 vertical) panels.
  • *17: Dimensions of the VPL-VW760ES (width x height x depth, mm): 560 x 223 x 496 (not including protruding parts).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Given Sony's problems with contrast loss and lamp flickering I'd advise caution before buying any new lamp-based Sony.

And I'm saying this as a Sony projector owner, who's seeing the flicker problem.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Dave, I believe that was addressed in Sony's current projector line up. I have not heard of reduced contrast or lamp flickering on the HW45ES, HW65ES, VW365ES or VW675ES projectors.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Out of my price range. 6000 US is about 7500 in Canuck funny money. Do they say if any of them support 3D?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have the HW55ES and see no flickering or contrast issues.

Then again, I haven't done my first bulb change yet and I hear that things go downhill a bit after the first bulb change.

I hope I am wrong about this.

I may buy one of those new projectors at the hint of a price drop. I do want to get into 4k but it's still not affordable.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have the HW55ES and see no flickering or contrast issues.

Then again, I haven't done my first bulb change yet and I hear that things go downhill a bit after the first bulb change.

I hope I am wrong about this.

I may buy one of those new projectors at the hint of a price drop. I do want to get into 4k but it's still not affordable.
I'm on original bulb at 1000 hrs and have flickering. It seems to happen when you run in eco mode mostly. I've switched to full mode and it's fine. After a few dozen more hours I'll switch back and see if it's fixed the flickering.

I've not experienced contrast loss. (Fingers crossed)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If Sony has a true 4K HDR projector at $6000 MSRP, that's good news!

That's a 20% sale from my $5000 buy price. It also gives hope to a $5000 MSRP projector in 2018/19.

While I'd like to buy in at $2500 like I did for HD, I think $4000 - $5000 for a full UHD projector is a realistic target for me to get 4K before it's totally passé and VR takes over :)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Can't remember where but I heard that all 3 are 3D-capable. (Boy, they sure love to hide a selling point!)
I think it is possible that manufacturers think that 3D is such a stigma that they deliberately bury that information because they think that the words "3D" on a product would cripple sales!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks