What's new

Sony launches Columbia-Classics website (1 Viewer)

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Thomas T

...and the vague statement "Sony officials suggested an increased emphasis on digital distribution strategies will allow a less labor intensive approach to home entertainment releasing". Can someone translate that last statement into English for me?

I read that to mean "Sony officials suggested, when deciding on future releases, to look more towards the ease of streaming and downloading as opposed to the cost and labor involved in producing DVDs."

Not good.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
That's what I feared, Matt. Yes, not good but hopefully it won't interfer with the catalog titles Sony has already announced.

Ah well, it was a great run. Still, with the MOD programs apparently a success, classics on DVD will won't quite fade away just yet.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I do hope that Sony does go the MOD route if that is what it takes to continue releasing from their vault.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I hope this doesn't affect them too much as they are the only studio left that's doing classics on pressed DVDs. If they go the MOD route, then I'll have all kinds of money to upgrade my equipment, because I won't be buying any more movies.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I don't think it will affect classic releases all that much, since they make up only a small percentage of their annual DVD release schedule anyway. Not saying it won't happen, but its too soon to predict that this is the beginning of the end

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Traveling Matt

I read that to mean "Sony officials suggested, when deciding on future releases, to look more towards the ease of streaming and downloading as opposed to the cost and labor involved in producing DVDs."

Not good.
And MOD DVD-Rs, more than likely.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Any update on both The Rita Hayworth Coll. and the Film Noir Vol. 2 set? Still scheduled for a 2010 release?

Any hints whether there'll be more Collector's Choice sets this year?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
The Columbia Classics site has been updated including a new poll for what should be the next Ray Harryhausen film to get the Blu-ray treatment. Not a lot of future information, but an enjoyable read just the same.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
thanx for the heads-up on the website update...... finally a mention that the hayworth box set is "coming soon". still with the same 5 titles.

i can't believe this wait of over a full year (since i pre-ordered it) was due to 'production delays' ! the celebrity introductions to the films---i probably will watch only once!

sony, for my emotional pain & suffering during this long wait, i deserve a hayworth volume 2 boxset.....only put THIS ONE out QUICKLY please!!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I couldn't find any mention of Capra or Stanwyck. Is there an official announcement??

Jay*W

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson

I finally found it under the Q&A section. Awesome news!

Thanks for the tip. CANNOT wait for Capra box #2 with those Stanwyck titles! Maybe we'll also get a cleaned up print of "Lady For A Day"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks