What's new

Sony launches Columbia-Classics website (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
DVD Empire has the cover art up for the Film Noir - Vol. 1 collection due in November.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Oh no... it looks just like the Powell and Boetticher digipaks complete with unexplainably ugly lens flares and bad screen caps. Looks terrible!

Still can't wait for it to come out though... but seriously Sony, do something about your covers!

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Movies Unlimited has the cover art for the Sam Fuller collection and it is much like in the same way of the Collector's Choice previous releases.

I don't care that much about the cover art. What really matters to me are the transfers and the fact that a lot of real treasures are finally coming to dvd, some of them never before relased on any home video format.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I agree of course, but just look at those Icons of Screwball covers... it would be nice to at least attempt to attract buyers who might not be hip to these sets, no?

jsmiller

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Miller
Kudos to Sony for it's commitment to the classics, especially as it relates to Film Noir.

While I'm extremely grateful to Sony, does anyone else find it odd that of the three film noir sets either announced or planned, containing some 18 films, Human Desire or My Name is Julia Ross, two iconic and better known Columbia noirs, are not included? The Bad Girls of Noir collection that is currently in production is culled from a 12-film repertory series from the UCLA archive that included these two films in new restorations, so it really seems strange that unless Sony plans a second volume of bad girl noirs with the remaining six films from this series they would neglect to release these two gems. Unfortunately, there is no indication on the website that this set is the first of a two volume series.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Originally Posted by Garysb

Great site. Thank you for the heads up. I have bookmarked it. Sorry to hear Rita Hayworth set is not coming until next year as I thought it was to be released this fall. Anyway at least it is coming.
[COLOR= #0000ff]Rita was pushed back because there was a glut of releases in the fall and it was felt they might cannibalize each other. I suggested moving it to February to market it as a Valentine's Day gift suggestion, and they agreed.

BTW, the "CBC" blogpost was written by yours truly (except for the grammatical and spelling errors, which are the sole responsibility of the copy editor).

Mike S.

[/COLOR]

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Is anyone familiar with the Blog software they're using for the site? How can one leave a comment?

We encourage you to visit often and welcome your suggestions and general feedback
But how? ;)

Hoppy

Grip
Real Name
Jay
Mike,
Is there any possibility that Sony might release some more of the Columbia serials like The Shadow and The Spider's Web? The two Batman titles are perhaps the best releases any serial has gotten on DVD and I would love to see more.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Hoppy

Mike,
Is there any possibility that Sony might release some more of the Columbia serials like The Shadow and The Spider's Web? The two Batman titles are perhaps the best releases any serial has gotten on DVD and I would love to see more.
Does Sony even have decent film elements on many of their serials? Particularly the pre-war and WWII era ones?

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
My understanding are that Sony has elements on most, if not all of their serials, but that they only licensed the characters for a period of time. When they put THE SHADOW out on VHS (in order to cash in on the Alec Baldwin film), they were disappointed by sales. So unfortunately, I don't think a DVD release is eminent.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Any chance for a site/blog update in the not so distant future, probably with a little 2010 forecast?

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Have they moved the site? The Blog is still there but the rest is gone. There's only an advertisement for the "The Best Picture of All Time " Collection left.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It has me worried. Kind of like the disappearance of the Fox Classics Web Site. Hopefully Mike Schlesinger will shed some light.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
please god don't let this collapse until the femmes fatales, noir vol. 2 and new hollywood sets are released at least!

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Well it doesn't look very good. No blog post since August, and a complete removal of the old site, rather than just the addition of the Best Pictures of All Time set (which is the sort of thing that will sell well over the holidays).

I have the Fuller and first noir set on the way and was really looking forward to a second noir set, and the Icons of Suspense was already on my wishlist.

If these releases have ended it would be especially sad considering that the Boetticher box is perhaps the best box of 1950s westerns you can buy on DVD.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Simon Howson

Well it doesn't look very good. No blog post since August, and a complete removal of the old site, rather than just the addition of the Best Pictures of All Time set (which is the sort of thing that will sell well over the holidays).

I have the Fuller and first noir set on the way and was really looking forward to a second noir set, and the Icons of Suspense was already on my wishlist.

If these releases have ended it would be especially sad considering that the Boetticher box is perhaps the best box of 1950s westerns you can buy on DVD.

Perhaps they are just revamping it for a relaunch. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Have a very encouraging update for you from Sony.

Grover Crisp, Senior VP of Asset Management and
Film Restoration & Digital Mastering at Sony contacted
me after reading your comments.

He wanted to relay the following...

We are in the process of updating the site, adding new features, new blogs, some re-design, some interactivity. As I have said elsewhere, this is a beta site and it will be developed fully over a period of time, so we hope people will be a bit patient. This site is meant to confirm our commitment to getting classic titles released to the fans. But look for a reboot of the site within the next month. Working on content now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks