Sony KW-34HD1 or Toshiba CW34X92

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Hartman, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Mike Hartman

Mike Hartman Auditioning

Jul 24, 2001
    I have a question as far as the value of a purchase of an HDTV.
    I can get a Sony KW-34HD1 brand new (floor model) for $4000 or a Toshiba CW34X92 brand new for $2500.
    I know the Sony is possibly the better television, but as money is always a factor, I wonder if it's worth the extra cash.
    I'm looking for a 16:9 tube HDTV handling at least 480p (preferrably 720p) signals. If you have any other cost effective solutions, please let me know as I am open to anything.
    Thanks in advance.
  2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Mar 16, 2000
    Michael Chen
    The Sony is not compatible with p-scan DVD players. (of the floor that is.) It only takes 1080i signals.
    You have to enter the service menu to turn on a parameter to enable 480P.
    The Toshiba comes 480P ready.
    The Sony is older than the Toshiba ... but generally regarded as being better ... however!!!!!
    The Sony cannot produce a good grayscale even after being calibrated where as the Toshiba excels at that.
    Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
  3. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

Jul 13, 2000
    I think Sony has just released a new version of their 34" widescreen set. I think it will have a Firewire input/output, 5C & and at lease one ATSC tuner built in. If you really want to go with a Sony that would be the one to get. That way you won't get screwed with all this Copy protection stuff.