Sony KV36XBR450 - S Video Converter question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sarah Lynn, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Sarah Lynn

Sarah Lynn Auditioning

MY Sony KV36XBR450 finally arrived yesterday 03/15 and I am not all that pleased just yet.
    I am happy with the picture playing DVD's etc. But when watching cable TV the picture isn't up to par. I am going to be upgrading within the next 3 to 4 months to HDTV. But for now I am using AT&T Broadband digital cable. I called the guys from Crutchfield where I brought the TV and they told me to run an S-Video cable from my Motorola Cable Box to the Television. The only problem is that the AT&T / Motorola bullshit cable box doesn't have S Video.
    So I flew out the door and headed over to Tweeter and they recommended Entech Composite-to-S-Video Converter. Has anyone here ever used this cable? It retails for $129.00 and Tweeter wants $130.00. Do you think it want be worth to buy this converter cable?
    Thanks for your help.
    -Sarah
    Product Link:
    http://products.monstercable.com/por...d=33022&-find=

2. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

I'm not familiar with this particular product but I do use $20 composite to S-Video converters in my system from Rat Shack. They work but be aware that you are not creating an S-Video quality signal. You are merely converting the signal to S-Video parts. The signal is only as good as the composite original.

To get the best from your great TV, you need to think about doing a calibration using Video Essentials or Avia DVDs. If you don't have those, turn your sharpness down to a max of 25%, picture (contrast) to no more than 35% and brightness no more than 40%. This should help reduce artifacts considerably.

And I almost forgot, set the TV in MOVIE picture mode. Make sure VM is off and color temp is warm (defaults for the MOVIE setting).

N

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

No!
    The Entech converter is not for the purpose you want it for.
    It's for convenience only, like being able to funnel all of your video sources into the S-video jack of your TV and reducing the number of buttons on remotes you have to push to select what you want to watch.
    Any composite to S-video converter costing less than USD $150. will result in poorer picture quality compared with running the composite directly to a TV with a decent (at least 3 line digital) comb filter. (For ordinary VCR tape playback you might not notice the difference.)
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Neil White

Neil White Supporting Actor

In my case, I am just using a converter to run VCRs into the S-Video to avoid having to run a composite connection from my receiver.

N

5. JohnDPug

JohnDPug Extra

As a new owner of a KV40XBR700, I now realize how lousy some of the broadcast quality is with my cable service. I never noticed it before on my excellent direct view 32" Mitsu (still in service). For instance, when I watch hockey on espn, it actually looks better on the smaller Mitsu. Spread that signal out on the Sony and the picture quality is poor. On the other hand, the picure quality of the CBS broadcast of the NCAA tournament on the Sony is almost frighteningly clear. Some stations look great and others don't look so good.

I don't think the cables are going to significantly affect your picture quality if you've got a lousy signal from the converter box. If you're worried about your WEGA, see if you can downgrade your service from digital to analog to test the set out. If you're going to HD within the warranty period, I'd wait it out until you convert before you ship the 36 back. I'd be willing to bet your problem is in the converter box or your signal to the house rather than with the Sony.

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, Sarah, John's pointing you in the right direction: Do not judge this set's picture based on the "quality" of a "digital" cable-TV system. Given the XBR's sophistication, it is allowing you to see just how bad most broadcast/cable television images are. The Sony's line-doubler ("Digital Reality Creation") can only do so much. As the computer people used to say, "Garbage in, garbage out." And cable-TV signals are largely garbage. End of story.

As for DVD, make sure that your player is adjusted for 16:9 output, so that the XBR's raster-compression feature will kick in. Focus most of your viewing on 16:9-encoded DVDs. Watch television on a second set. The XBR is too good to waste on "digital" cable.