Sony KV34XBR800 arrives today!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donnie Seals, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Donnie Seals

Donnie Seals Agent

34" Wide FD Trinitron® Picture Tube
    Aspect Ratio 16:9
    Hi-Scan 1080i™ Display

This will be my first set with both component video inputs, progressive scan and the wonderous 16:9 aspect ratio. I'll have to wait for the next pay check to cop the DENON DVD-1600 to complete the package, but for now I'm plenty excited. I have S-VIDEO cords for my PS2, and when I cop the XBOX, i'll get some component cords for that too. The Avia disc is also waiting to tune the fantastic Sony picture. What would really make my day is if I found out my regular DirectTV box sent out HD signals (i doubt it).

I'll give a full report of what happens later on today.

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

This is a very, very nice set. Congrats!

4. Donnie Seals

Donnie Seals Agent

Hours later....

Wow...what a difference! Unfortunately, I don't have a progressive scan DVD player, so it's not as sharp as I would have liked. But man, it's leaps and bounds better than the picture I was getting. The Video options to adjust this set are...well, overwhelming. I love playing with the picture TWIN view setting, and using the remote and menus are easy as well.

I don't want to judge the picture until I get the setting correct, but other than that, I'm loving this set. Can't wait for HDTV. The options on the back got me mad excited.

5. Donnie Seals

Donnie Seals Agent

I am NOT satisfied with the DVD picture. It looks 10x's better than what I had, but it's frustrating looking at the screen when I know it can look better. PLUS like I said before, there are so many sliders to move to adjust the picture, I don't know where to begin. I tossed in The Phantom Menace, and used their THX tests to adjust the picture, but in the end I still wasn't happy with the result.

Understand i'm viewing DVD's through a DVD player without progressive scan. THAT last item is to arrive in a few weeks, and should greatly improve the picture quality. Should I wait till' that arrives before i start tweaking the video sliders?

Anyway, I will go on to say that I love the flat screen! My previous sony tube TV was made in the early to mid 90's, and is STILL a great set. But with all the windows in my apartment, glare was a major problem and I could not watch DVD's during the day. With this new set, not only is the glare greatly reduced, there's not a bad seat in the house. From every angle in my living room, you can see the TV without any picture glare up. Amazing!

6. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Donnie,
    Since you are using an interlaced DVD player, which DRC mode are you using, and what are your DRC palette settings (Reality vs. Clarity)? When watching DVD's of movies you should be using Cinemotion.
    Then, to get a sense of how the DRC palette can affect things, try watching the same scene over and over while setting the Reality/Clarity settings to the corners (1,1 then 1,100, then 100,100 then 100,1) to see which one you like best. Then play with it from there. These settings can make a HUGE difference on an interlaced source - at least that has been my experience on the 40XBR800.
    Also, although this is probably obvious to you, did you remember to set your DVD player to 16x9 mode?
    I didn't see in your post if you are using SVideo or component to hook up your player. If you are using SVideo still with interlaced, I can see how you would be still unsatisfied - I was too. I was very happy to get the RP82 for DVD's! [​IMG]

7. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Whatever you do still wont match what comes from a progresive DVD player, grab one ASAP.

8. Donnie Seals

Donnie Seals Agent

Scott.

One of the first things I did was set my DVD player to 16:9 mode. But thanks for asking. I remember when I was helping my ol' man hook up his Pioneer Elite, we couldn't figure out for the longest why our anamorphic DVD's weren't in the correct aspect ratio.

Thanks for the advice on the DRC's. I hadn't thought to mess with it at all because I didn't know exactly what it was. I'll pull out my SNATCH Superbit DVD and mess with it then. I'm using component video cables ($80), so it's the best connection I can get w/o getting a new DVD player.

Should I have different settings for watching TV and DVD's? Between VIVID, STANDARD, MOVIE and PRO, I've kept everything at STANDARD (Vivid is just too bright, but MOVIE is too dark in my opinion). I'll try messing with the DRC's, and report back tomorrow.

9. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Let it settle down wait a few weeks before making any judgements, it will change a lot as it "Burns in". I know I have owned lots of Sonys from the "Pro-feel" (1st XBR) to the 36XBR450, the longer it plays the better it will get._________guy_

10. Scott Barnhart

Donnie,

Actually, PRO mode (which is just a tiny bit darker than MOVIE) is the mode that matches the NTSC standards the best. When I used Video Essentials to calibrate the different modes on my 40XBR800, all I had to do to PRO mode was bring the sharpness down. I actually calibrated PRO mode to my DVD player, MOVIE mode to my LD player, and then I took the settings from movie mode and made Standard and Vivid both match them. I then bumped picture and brightness just a tiny bit on Standard mode for watching cable TV in the evening, and bumped Vivid mode just a bit more than that for watching during the day. As you found, the factory settings for VIVID are just ridiculous, and can actually burn in your TV with that much contrast if you use it all the time.

11. Scott Barnhart

Donnie, I also forgot to mention - turn Velocity Scan Modulation "OFF" for the different picture modes, especially for ones you watch DVD on. For modes where you watch cable/satellite, you might try going between OFF and LOW for VSM - I find it hard to tell which is better on cable. But for DVD, definitely OFF.

12. Donnie Seals

Donnie Seals Agent

Scott / Guy

Thanks alot for the info. Everyday I find another reason why I know I'm going to enjoy watching this TV. After this weekend if this post is still up, I'll report back.

13. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Hey Donnie, I've got the same set as you! Using the Avia disc worked wonders for me and things look considerably better! And, as Scott Barnhart pointed out, the DRC pallete thingy really does make a difference. MAKE SURE TO MESS AROUND WITH THAT. Get a few different settings on that going and see which one you like the best.

I'm happy with my set except for the damned yellow mark in the upper left that is noticeable during light scenes. It's VERY ANNOYING, let me know if you have it as well..., it is green colored in some scenes.... I will be exchanging the tv soon (for the same set though, I love it!)