Sony KV32FQ70E starting tips?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by David JG, Jul 3, 2004.

1. David JG

David JG Auditioning

Hi m8s.

I have just bought this 32'' TV. In Norway there is not HDTV yet and who knows when is going to come so I decided not to go for a HDTV set. My apartment is not so big then a bigger TV could not be included in my shopping list. The price of this set was very good.
    I would like to know some tips for doing right the "break in" or "burn in" period. When I have bought components in the past (my speakers set and other equipment) I have read and follow instructions from the forum for doing this properly, but I cannot find anything related to this now. Is it that these new components don't need anymore this kind of procedures?

I would love to hear opinions about this set. Is there anyone here that has any experience with it? What do you think about its quality compared to other products in the range? I would also like to know of a place where I could find specific help for this set (tips, tweaks, etc.) and what I can do for enjoying it the best. I have DV essentials for doing the calibration, but I think I will wait first for the break in period to have passed.

This TV supposed to be a last model, but now I am not so sure about it, can anyone confirm this to me? They didn't have so much other options in the store and I HAD TO buy a TV now because I have delivered my old 28'' Panasonic that I sold yesterday.

Thank you very much for all the help.

2. David JG

David JG Auditioning

Some notes after using it 1 day:

1. The european model has a annoying "bug". You cannot change the sharpness level before you have watched something on NTSC format. This is really stupid from Sony, why do they restrict something like this? It is also written in the manual.

2. You cannot change sharpness level while you are in the AV inputs, just in the TV mode. Again, this is very silly. If you change sharpness into TV mode it remembers the value for the AV modes.

3. Sharpness is not good. Text (specially from my Samsung 9500 satellite decoder menus) looks bad, you have to put the sharpness too low for it looks good, making faces and other objects blur.

4. The "smart" mode is pointless. You lost too much image in the sides and up and down. My old Panasonic 28'' had a "justified" mode that only takes a small part of the screen, and the effect (stretched people) that you see when watching 4:3 material in 16:9 mode is very well corrected without needing to crop the screen area like the Sony does.

4. The screen came with some strange thing (a stein) in the surface. I have seen it cleaning the screen with a soft wet (in watter) cloth. I have tried to clean it away and the thing doesn't go, it is like if they have had an sticker on the screen before!!!

5. I can notice the "bowing" effect in the middle of the screen. This effect has been mentioned in several forums on the net and it is quite common in the Trinitron WEGA series, it appears that this can be corrected going into service mode and changing some values there (taking care of writing your original values for you don't mess up the TV). This should come corrected from the fabric in my opinion. I never noticed this thing in my Panasonic 28'' widescreen TV.

6. The delivery guys have had problems and have drop (not very strong... but still) the TV (when in the box) in one side. I am very worried that it could have damaged something.

7. The remote control came with the joystick left side damaged!

Conclusion: I am not happy with the TV, and I am returning it this week. I hope I don't need to pay transport again (I will say that it was dropped by the delivery guys). I am going to go for a Panasonic that was almost the same price, 32'' 100Hz Wide Screen also. The only thing that it doesn't have is picture in picture, but I don't need that so much.

I would like to see some comments about this, what do you think? Had I only bad luck or are the WEGA Trinitrons so difficult always?

Thank you.