Sony kv27fs13 reliability?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Rowe, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg
    The Sony kv27fs13 is the low end 27 inch Wega. I have been planning on purchasing this TV since I love the picture quality and the 16:9 compression feature. I have read on a few sites that there has been some reliability issues with the Wega line. This is a bit of a concern as Sony's warranty is rather poor.
    The store I plan on purchasing this from offers lifetime service for 5$. They also offer 5 year parts coverage for about 50$ for this product.
    Normally I wouldn't worry about reliability posts as all products sometimes go bad. However, a friend bought the exact model I was planning on buying this summer. This weekend his TV died [​IMG]. It won't turn on any more.
    I would like to hear from Wega (especially the lower end Wegas) owners or TV dealers. Are these sets reliable? Should I purchase an extended warranty? Money is an important issue - this is a very large purchase for me.
    TIA
    Greg

2. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

Hi
    I've had the WEGA 27fs12 for about 8 months now and I haven't experienced ANY problems with it.
    No Pink lines, black shading on one side or green lines that others have reported.
    I love this TV - I think the 16:9 compression is amazing (wish it was auto like the higher versions) and the flat display can't be beat.
    Everyone who sees this TV and has a regular curved screen TV, can't get over how good it looks.
    Get the extended coverage if it's that cheap and buy this WEGA.
    Paul

3. Greg Rowe

Greg
    Thanks for the reply. You are building my confidence in the set back up [​IMG]
    I had already decided that I was going to buy it anyways. I am just trying to figure out if the extra 50$ is really worth it. Most of the time I NEVER buy extended warranties but I am questioning that now.
    Again, thanks for the reply.

4. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

Greg,
    I've had my KV-27FS12 (predecessor to the -13) for almost a year now. Like Paul, I have not had any reliability issues and I've had to move twice since I got it. The 16:9 compression is definately the best feature, but a close runner-up is the tweakability. The user's menu alone is a tweaker's delight. Only downside of owning a WEGA is how hard it is to move [​IMG] , and how easily it betrays bad source material (i.e. VHS, cable, etc.), but then again, the opposite is true as well - it lets good source material (DVD) really shine. If I had to do it all over again, I'd get the WEGA.
    Brian.

5. Paul_Dunlop

Paul_Dunlop Second Unit

6. Greg Rowe

Greg
    Thanks Paul
    I am going to save those links for the great day when my Wega comes home. [​IMG]
    Greg

7. Joel Ostrow

Joel Ostrow Agent

I must say, however, that I returned one of these due to unacceptable horizontal geometry problems. Many other posts here suggest this migh tbe fixed with the assistance of a Sony technician and/or use of the service manual and service menu. But the do-it-yourself option for this fix comes with risks, if you read carefully.

I'm trying another, though, after getting 2 Panasonic Tau sets (CT27SX11) that had simply horrific pictures all-around (see my other post on this forum). Stay away from the Panasonic!

8. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

I too am considering a Sony Wega, the lower end 32 inch set though. I too am a bit weary after hearing stories about bad warranty, customer service, and other issues such as reliabilty of these sets. Currently it is a toss up between the Tau and the Wega.

A really sweet feature is the 16:9 squeeze on the Wega. The Tau has it as well, though I was told I may run into some problems depending on what DVD player I have. I heard the Tau has issues with certain players. Any info on this would be nice.

Anyway, I was wondering since many of you seem to play with the service menu etc. Do you just call Sony up and request a service menu?

9. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Buying a Sony TV is a crap shoot. The good ones are a pleasure, but Sony cuts its parts tolerance too close. The end result, some good ones and some that will eat you alive with repairs. For $50, I would absolutely get the extended warranty.

Good Luck

10. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

the name SONY used to stand for something. Solid Quality.

Now, as noted above, it can be a real crap shoot.

For a $500 set, the FS13 has a lot of 'minor' bugs-

uneven brightness, lowest sound level is still too loud(I live in an apt)

hum is a little too loud, and it picks up RFI-previous set did NOT.

The picture for me is way to soft, unless you use both the VM setting and the sharpness control-which I thought could get you exiled from HTLand...

on the other hand, it may just need a month of 'breaking in'

I thought a friends FS12 looked like crap for a few weeks-(I ended up re-tweaking the set for her) and now it looks fabulous.

I guess I can set the 16:9 to default, adjust the volume, the sharpness and brightness, to either default modes, or to my liking-it looks like it has potential.

Q: anyone know if the clock can be set to briefly appear along with the station number when you change channels? My old set used to do this- a real convenience-having to find and hit DISPLAY in the dark can be a pain.

11. Joel Ostrow

Joel Ostrow Agent

After returning 2 Taus, I got another KV-27FS13. This one was better than the first, but it STILL has geometry problems (no pink lines)

Text ticker at bottom (e.g. CNN) bows down about a quarter inch about 1/3 of the way from the right edge, then goes back up a bit toward the very left edge.

Horizontal lines on the top half of the screen sag downward beginning about an inch from the right edge.

Vertical lines on both upper corners bend in.

A technician is coming a week from now to look at the set.

Based on other posts on this forum and at audioreview.com, I'm hoping these problems can be corrected.

Unfortunately, I am still without a DVD player, so no VE to help.

Do I have any hope here??????????? Does anyone know for sure???

12. Ten_Smith

Ten_Smith Stunt Coordinator

I am considering the Sony kv27fs13, and interested in hearing more.

Joel, whatever happened to you?

13. Joel Ostrow

Joel Ostrow Agent

I wouldn't get it. Tech replaced the yoke. Horizontal problem fixed. He put a bunch of magnets on to fix the vertical. But you know how buildings are normally straight up and down? Not on this tv. They bend right and left. Had a second tech come out. He told me I'd be nuts to keep it. Use Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune-UP to no avail.

So I'm now trying a Samsung TXL2791F. I have found almost no information in it, but it is cheaper and in the store looked good on these issues. I'm hoping I can use the tune-up to fix the color, brightness to a point close to the Sony image.

Bottom line: Sony has no quality control and very low quality period.

But I'd like info on the Samsung, like how to get to and navigate in the service menu...

14. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

I have a Wega 27fs12 and have not had any problems except for the tinny sounding speakers. If you turn it up past about half way the speakers (or the cabinet--can't tell which) buzz like crazy. I would expect this from a cheap, bargain basement tv, but not from Sony. Oh, and if there are any of you that have not had the pleasure of dealing with Sony's excellent support system--you are in for a real treat. Just get used to being transferred from one recording to the next for about an hour and a half until you finally get pissed and hang up. I truly believe they just try to wear you out so you will just give up. They suck.

15. Ten_Smith

Ten_Smith Stunt Coordinator

I was considering the Samsung, but it is so big, and I didn't like the color so much.

Of the three Tosh, Sony, Sam I like the color on the Tosh best (Toshiba 27AF41), but have since read it has geometry problems and you have to use service menu to squeeze.

Bottom line is one more trip to Best Buy (I have no choice, I must go there) to look at all three and make a final decision.

Some people enjoy analyzing a purchase to death, my wife doesn't understand that.

PS. If you're interested in the Samsung consider the Akai at Sam's club (same T.V., for 379, but only a 90 day warrantee), there's a thread on that in the coupons and bargains forum.

16. Joel Ostrow

Joel Ostrow Agent

Well, I just got the Samsung, and you know what? I can't see why anyone would buy the Sony. With Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune-up one discovers the following on the Samsung:

1) Horizontal lines are straight

2) Vertical lines are straight

3) Virtually no convergence problem

4) No pink bars anywhere on the screen

5) Horrific factory pre-sets that, when adjusted, produce a picture of indistinguishable quality from the Sony

6) Superior sound

7) A service menu that appears far, far more versital than Sony's, although I have no idea what some of the items are (Service Manual on the way)

So far, I'm thrilled, and the set is $100 cheaper.

I heard about the Akai, but I prefer the service I will get from Tweeter to that I would not get from Sam's.

Bottom line: the KV-27FS13 is deeply flawed. Panasonic Tau is even worse. From what I saw at the stores, Toshiba's geometry problems are severe.

Samsung TXL2791F is a winner.