Sony kv27fs13 Problems Help!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JesseA, Feb 6, 2002.

1. JesseA

JesseA Agent

I had the Pink lines problem but a Tech came out and adjusted something with the shell of the TV off, I think he said it was a focus knob.
    Now that the pink lines are gone, I'm having other problems. I watched Saving Private Ryan on DVD the other day and now some scenes with Fire, and other scenes are horrible stretched out,or fuzzy. For example a small patch of fire on the screen stretches up and bleeds into the rest of the scene. The TV never did this before and the DVD is fine. I havnt been able to replicate the problem with my other very limited collection of DVD's.
    Last problem. When I first got the TV, the TV would make a very sharp poping noice and the screen would flicker out for a fraction of a second. The problem happend for about a week then vanished. It just started doing it again today [​IMG]
    I'm really at my wits end with this TV, and I'm affraid the warranty might be over soon. It's almost a month old now. What should I do, this is my soon to be third returned wega of the exact same model. 2 From Sears, and one from A local electronics store. My first one had unfixable pink lines, and the second had a faint permanent ghrey line burnt into the screen.
    The distortion problem isn't really bothering me becuase it seems isolated to this one DVD so far. But, that poping noise and screen flicker really worries me. Could the CRT be dying?
    Anyways advice would be great..

2. John_Robinson

I'm going to go out on a limb here...

You say that the distortion can only be found on the Saving Private Ryan DVD? You're aware that this particular DVD is purposely full of a lot of streaking, grain, and distortion -- to look more like it was shot with documentary cameras during a real military campaign. Are you sure that's not what you're seeing? If your other DVDs look fine, then I wonder.

3. Nicole P

Nicole P Stunt Coordinator

Regarding the popping: Wegas have an automatic degausse coil built in. However, this should only activate when the set is switched on from the mains, in other words you should hear a "bong" as it powers up.

If it is going off while you watching a programme, causing the picture to flicker, this may be a fault with the circuit.

Hope you can find a solution.

Cheers,

Nicole P

4. JesseA

JesseA Agent

It sounds nothing like a degausse noise. You know those little snapper things, that you drop and they hit somthing and snap. It sounds EXACTLY like that, corresponding with a quick in and out flicker of the picture on the screen. It all happens in a fraction of a second but it always startles the hell out of me. It does it very randomly also. Sometimes not at all, sometimes 2 in a 3hour viewing session. It even went away completely for a few weeks. I'm sure its just another one of those Sony Quality issues.

Should I take it back though, thats the question? Now that the pink lines are gone I can enjoy the set, but with this issue I'm affraid maybe not in the short term but in a few months the TV could just die, and I would be 500 dollars out.

Is there any other comparable TV's out their in the same price range as the Sony? I'm really getting sick of dealing with Sony's severe lack of quality lately.

5. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

Yes, take it back. I don't know if you have ever had to deal with Sony's customer service dept. before but they will really wear you down. Try looking at some of the Toshiba's. The AFX61 series is flat screen and very similar to Sony (just much better and more reliable).