Sony KV-xxHS20 really a KV-xxXBR400 ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Croft, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Mark Croft

Mark Croft Auditioning

I was in Best Buy today and noticed a new TV in the Sony line up. It caugh my eye because it looked just like my friend's XBR400 except the cabinet is darker. It's Hi-Scan 1080i and seems to have a lot of the features of the XBR but Sony has taken down the spec sheet for the 400 series so I can't do a side by side comparison. It looks like Sony has decided to keep the XBR 400s rolling off the assembly line but in a new package. The MSRP on Sony's site for the 36HS20 is $2600 which is up there in XBR400 territory if I remember correctly. Best Buy had the 32" for $1800 and the 36" for $2300, which is a few hundred less than what most places wanted for an XBR400. So what's up? Is Sony trying to keep the 400 series alive in this new package or is the HS missing some of the XBR's magic? The difference in MSRP between the HS20 and XBR 450 is only $100. I checked a few places online and some had the XBR450 for only $10 more than the HS20! Considering the 450 has 3:2 pulldown, I'd say it's more than worth the upgrade. The 450 does have a cool looking remote so that's another advantage :) I guess I'm just curious why Sony is offering two sets that seem almost identical (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Great Forum! Thanks for all the insight...
    -Mark

2. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

From what i remember the Sony press release from a few months back said that the XBRs will continue as the new HS (high scan) series.

3. RaulT

RaulT Auditioning

Mark,
    I also saw this TV at BB yesterday. I think you are right, this appears to be similar to the 400 that it does not have the 3/2 pulldown as the 450. However, I do prefer the dark grey color than the silver because it would match better with all my black components. I still would get the 450 for the $$ regardless of the color of the cabinet.
    ------------------