What's new

Sony KV-40XBR700 Questions (1 Viewer)

JohnDPug

Grip
Got a brand new KV-40XBR700 hooked up with a Sony DV-NS700P DVD player (480p connection). I read somewhere I should set the DVD player up as if the output was to a 16:9 screen for the best viewing of enhanced DVDs. Is this true and should the DVD be set this way for all DVDs?

Also, when setting the display of the KV-40 for Extended Data Service (XDS), I can't get the display to turn off. The program name, station and duration stay on all the time. The SonyStyle.com support FAQ doesn't really address this. Any tips for getting the display to turn off?

Thanks.

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
That set features the anamorphic squeeze trick (probably labeled as 16:9 enhanced mode in the user menu), so yes, set your DVD player to 16:9 and then engage the 16:9 enhanced mode on your TV. This will yield superior image quality with anamorphic DVDs (sometimes labeled as "Enhanced for 16:9 TVs") by dedicating all of your TV's resolution to the film image, rather than wasting it displaying black bars. If you want a more technical explanation, you can check the FAQ section.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
The display button on the remote should cycle through the display options. First channel numbers then XDS then closed captioning and finally off.

JohnDPug

Grip
Steve,

Thanks for your reply but it didn't do the trick on my set. When I go into the Setup menu and select down to Caption Vision, I get a list of 4 CCs, 4 TEXTs, XDS and OFF. I've been highlighting XDS which brings the display up and hitting Menu to come out of the Setup Menu. When I hit the Display button, I get the Channel and Time (no day...hmmm). Hit it again and the Channel and Time disappear and the XDS is persistent. Hit it again and the Channel and Time come back on with persistent XDS.

The only way I've found to turn the XDS off is to go back into the Setup Menu and select OFF under Caption Vision. I must not be setting the Caption Vision option up correctly but I can't see another way to do it. Back to the drawing board!

RichN

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same problem with my 36XBR450, and the info takes up half of the screen (well, almost). I finally turned it off and have never tried to use it since then. So if anyone has a solution for the original post, maybe it will work on other XBRs also.

RichN

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks