Sony KV-40XBR700 Calibration

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ali_Jafari, Aug 21, 2002.

1. Ali_Jafari

Ali_Jafari Agent

I've read on other forums that professionally calibrating the Sony KV-XBR700, makes a tremendous amount of difference in DVD picture quality when coupled with a progressive scan DVD player. The posts have said that the calibration has made the picture more "film" like, which is hard to believe with a CRT. I've spoken to my dealer, whom I trust, about getting my set calibrated by an ISF certified technician, and he said that it would not make a difference with this set and that it comes pretty close to NTSF out of the box with a little tweaking with AVIA and VE. So, have any of the owners of this tv had their sets calibrated, and if so, what were the results? I want to make sure I'm spending $175 wisely if I do choose to take this route, especially given the differing opinions with posts I have read on other forums and my dealer. Thank you in advance.

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Ill let other posters respond to the differences a calibration can make. $175 seems like a steal of a bargain...what are they going to do for the money?

Regards

Gregg

3. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    PS:

Mr Bob, lives up your way (San Fran area). His site can be found via linking through Keohi.com and then to keohitv.

Regards
    Gregg

4. Ali_Jafari

Ali_Jafari Agent

Thanks for the reply Greg. I called my dealer upon reading your post and he said that he would cover the following things in the calibration, which are all listed in the website you recommended:

Greyscale tracking
    White & Black Level
    Color temperature
    Chroma Level and Phase
    Geometry
    Focus (Electrical & Mechanical)
    Horizontal & Vertical Center
    Overscan
    Convergence (static & dynamic)
    Aperture
    Chroma detail enhancement, and
    Scan Velocity Modulation Disconnection