Sony KV-40XBR700 16:9 Detection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ali_Jafari, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Ali_Jafari

Ali_Jafari Agent

I have a Sony KV-40XBR700 set hooked up to a Sony DVPS-9000 thru component video (with the DVD set to display 16:9) and for some reason it does not automatically compress anamorphic DVD's to display in 16:9. I have to do it manually everytime through the remote control which is an annoyance. Anyone else experience the same thing, or have any recommendations on how/if this can be fixed using menu options? Thanks in advance.

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I assume the 40XBR700 is like my 36XBR450, they don't have an auto-detect mode when receiving a progressive signal, so you have to switch manually. I just programmed a macro for switching on my remote (HTM MX-500) to make it easy.

3. Ali_Jafari

Ali_Jafari Agent

Chris--

Thanks a lot for your reply. Is there any way to program the Sony remote to automatically switch to 16:9?

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

By the way, Ali, how do you like the picture on that XBR? Did you buy the matching stand also? And did you have a lot of strong bodies on hand to help you maneuver that 300-pound beast into your home theater?

5. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Ali,

I responded to your email baout the remote issue...

6. Ali_Jafari

Ali_Jafari Agent

Jack--

The display is nothing short of amazing. I have not had the set professionally calibrated yet, although I have done some work myself with Avia and VE. The picture is by far better than any rear projection set, or Plasma I have seen and is comparable to high end projection systems. Anamorphic DVD's look stunning with deep rich blacks and beautiful vibrant colors. I cannot begin to describe how good LOTR's looks on this set. Bright showrooms do not do the set justice due to the fact that they set it on "vivid" mode with VM turned on. Once in a dimly lit room, the picture is incredible!

Have not viewed HDTV with it yet, but digital cable looks great. For my money, this is the best direct view in the world, even though it is a 4:3 set. Oh, and it looks stunning as well. I got the set with the stand and a 5 year warranty at the GG for just under $3,200 (including free delivery). Money well spent IMO.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Indeed, Ali.

And remember that even in its 16:9 mode, the XBR is giving you a 36-inch (diagonal) picture--bigger than all but two native 16:9 direct-view sets on the market (those being the 38-inch Loewe Aconda and the RCA/Thomson thing using the same picture tube).

It's one fine set you have there. Congrats!