Sony KV-40 XBR700

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Deborah_W, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Deborah_W

Deborah_W Auditioning

We really don't know much about TVs - but we are interested in this one.
    We've seen the TV at GoodGuys and Fry's - our electronic stores in California. Price is $3400 - stand is $400. Some sales people state that we will also need monster cables and another was trying to throw in some type of power/line adjuster.
    Have you seen any more reviews about this TV? Do you think we should wait awhile for a price drop? What about a warranty?

2. Eliab

Eliab Agent

Deborah,
    Although I’ve yet to calibrate one of these TVs, I’ve had a chance to adjust it a bit in the showroom with some of my own DVDs and was very impressed. However, you may want to hold off a bit because of the various reasons mentioned below.
    1. The price will surely drop within a few months
    2. First generation units may have some bugs that get worked out with subsequent versions.
    3. For the same amount of money, you can purchase an excellent 16x9 RPTV.
    Higher quality cables such as those offered by Monster Cable can improve upon signal quality. While these cables aren’t exactly necessary, they will usually allow one to achieve the most out of your associated equipment (DVD, VHS, LD, receiver, etc.).
    A high quality surge protector is, IMHO, a necessity in any home theater. The best of these will be voltage regulators. Click on the link below for more information in regards to these units.
    http://www.audiolinesource.com/products/index.html
    ------------------
    Avical
    ISF Certified Calibrations
    www.Avical.com [email protected]

3. john_b_d

john_b_d Auditioning

Since you live in Orange Co, as I do, I suggest that you contact Reference Audio-Video in Gardena. They don't have a b&m store, but they are by far the best people to deal with and have always had the best prices from my experience. I recently purchased a 36XBR450 from them and the their price was $500 less than what is normally quoted by Fry's and the others. You want to do your shopping at the normal outlets and then purchase from Reference.

4. Lewis

Lewis Agent

I friend of mine was able to buy a demo verison of this set for 1500.00 dollars including stand and delivery. He says set is amazing. A couple of thoughts: The set is extremely heavy. He had two profesional movers do the work and they were struggling. It is difficult to get at the connections at the back of the set so plan carefully

5. Marco B

Marco B Agent

Wow-Lewis, I guess your friend was at the right place at the right time.

6. Bob D

Bob D Extra

Deborah,
    The November/December issue of The Perfect Vision has a review of the 40XBR700 that you may want to read. Don't know if the magazine is out on newstands yet or not but they gave a very positive review on the TV.

7. Joe_Jensen

Joe_Jensen Auditioning

I've demo'd this set twice. First store had only a Sony demo DVD, not SAT or OTA or HDTV feed. I was completely sold, ready to buy, but the set was a traveling Sony demo.
    Second demo about 1 month later. I brought my wife to another store closer to home, intending to close the sale (with my wife). The store's DVD feed looked very marginal. Very blurry picture. So bad that my wife, who normally doesn't care much, said the picture was terrible. The sales guy said it must be the feed, and he went and hooked up a dedicated DVD player. The picture was the same. Looked like the image was out of focus.
    I concluded two things.
    1) I won't buy a set that I can't preview at the store
    2) I will get a return/exchage agreement from wherever I buy it.
    Joe

8. Allan_B

Allan_B Auditioning

I checked out 2 diff stores looking at this tv and it is nice and big. However, I was disappointed by the reddish distortion (there's a correct term for this but I don't know what it is) in the lower left of the tube. It's there when I was checking out the clarity of the image. The lower corner didn't have that same sharpness as the rest of the tube.
    The first KV-40 had the reddish distortion as well as a similar reddish streak thru the middle of the tube that you had to look for when the feed/picture didn't have any red in it. I mentioned it the sales rep and he replied that all tubes have some flaws. I was a little disappointed since if I were going to plunk down the $$ for this set, I would prefer to get the best possible picture quality since I was waiting with some enthusiasm for this set to show up.
    Could anyone else verify what I saw?
    I've been back to the 1st store several times to gawk at the tube and keep on noticing this distortion. I've played with the settings but it doesn't seem to correct the problem.

9. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

I saw the set at a local shop a few months ago, but they no longer have a display model because the tube "imploded" on the last one. Not a good sign.

10. Deborah_W

Deborah_W Auditioning

Thank you all for your help. We went ahead and bought the TV. We have a 60-day price guarantee, so if the price drops just after Xmas we are covered. (I now know where to price check too.)
    We have digital cable. When the cable person installed the new line and box, the picture wasn't very good. The installer added a booster (?) to the line and the picture was much better. We like it.
    We have had the TV a few days and I haven't noticed any red areas - but I am looking, and so far it hasn't imploded.
    When we watch the game, we feel like we are at Yankee stadium. DVDs are fine. I will let you know if we have any problems. Thanks again.
    ------------------

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Haven't read the TPM review yet, but there are some practicality issues to consider regarding this direct-view set: First off, the beast must weigh well in excess of 300 pounds--there's an awful lot of thick glass in that tube. Too, as has been mentioned already, new 16:9 direct-views sets can be had for less.
    Seriously, by the time one has reached the 40-inch level, it's time to consider an RPTV. If it were me, I'd give more serious consideration to Sony's new 34-inch, 16:9 direct-view set. Widescreen, after all, is the wave of the future (the XBR700's auto squeeze mode notwithstanding).
    ------------------
    [​IMG]