Sony KV-36XBR800 vs Sony KV-36HS510 ?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by RussellTodd, Jun 16, 2004.

1. RussellTodd

RussellTodd Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone tell me the difference between these 2 models. I think the 36HS510 has a 3D digital comb filter but other than that I don't see the difference other than the 36XBR800 is harder to find sellers for has it been discontinued. Although the 36HS510 is only carried by Circuit City, Best Buy no longer has them. If anyone can tell me the difference I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. RussellTodd

Can anyone tell me the difference between these 2 models. I think the 36HS510 has a 3D digital comb filter but other than that I don't see the difference other than the 36XBR800 is harder to find sellers for has it been discontinued. Although the 36HS510 is only carried by Circuit City, Best Buy no longer has them. If anyone can tell me the difference I would appreciate it.

Thanks

3. Steven_Jobe

Steven_Jobe Stunt Coordinator

They are both the same TV's although I think the XBR didn't have a DVI input which the newer one does(not positive though). The only difference is that the new one doesn't carry the XBR tag because Sony no longer tags any of their 4:3 TV's XBR. XBR is now reserved for widescreen TV's only as they are the newest technology which is what Sony defines XBR as. There is also a newer 36" Sony KV-36HS420 which has all the same features as both of those TV's you mentioned yet has the newer HDMI digital input instead of DVI(HDMI carries audio and video as apposed to video only in DVI). It is also has a different appearance which is the sole reason I didn't buy it. I like the older two toned look myself. The HS420 is Sony's 2005 line and should be replaced in Best Buy and Circuit City stores very very soon. It is also cheaper costing than the older one's at $999 MSRP(prices drop with new technology eventually). I hope this helped, i tend to run on and on but the reason I am positive of all this is because I recently went through this same dillema and ended up buying the HS510.

4. RussellTodd

Where did you find a Sony KV-36HS420 to purchase? They are $1,499 from the sony web site. I think I actually like the look of the the 36HS420 vs. 36HS510 however I can get a 36HS510 for what a 36HS420 and 36HS510 has PIP where the newer model doesn't.

5. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    XBR800 has DVI.

XBR models are their flagship models. Personally, if you can find the XBR800, I would take that over the others. I find the picture on the XBR to be stellar... especially after one is ISF calibrated.

6. Steven_Jobe

Steven_Jobe Stunt Coordinator

Sony no longer tags their 4:3 sets with XBR. They reserve that only for the "latest and greatest technology" which would be 16:9 sets. So getting the XBR in this case would not be better as they are exactly the same sets in every single way. And in this case reguarding 4:3 sets that are exactly the same, the XBR isn't their flagship. The only difference in the two TV's is their number/name and one happens to have XBR stamped on it.

As for where I found it...My local best buy happened to have some overstock on the HS510 so I ended up buying one.

7. Christoph_G

Christoph_G Extra

I've read that the HS510 had issues with a white scrolling line while viewing HD material. I can confirm that this has been fixed on the HS420, I do not see it at all on my 36HS420. It looks super!