Sony KV-36XBR400 WEGA and 16:9 enhanced DVD's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MarshawnM, Aug 9, 2001.

1. MarshawnM

MarshawnM Stunt Coordinator

Forum,
    I and a friend are having a disagreement. I have an XBR400WEGA (Sony). I say that when I view DVD's that are 16:9 enhanced, I'm getting the same picture that I would with a TV that naturally 16:9. Being that this mode is HDTV ready (just add HD decoder). Also, only DTVs can take advantage of a progress scan signal, which the XBR does, (I just purchased the Denon 2800 sweet). Lastly, since DVD's have different aspect ratios, letterboxing does not, therefore Gladiator (aspect ratio of 2.35:1) doesn't look (picture size wise) like Jurassic Park (aspect ratio 1.85:1) He says I’m getting "fancy letterbox". If the XBR WEGA could not show 16:9 then my picture would look distorted (everyone would look like George from Seinfeld, short and fat), as my DVD is set to output 16:9. Can anyone settle this? Thanks in
    advance

2. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I also own a Sony XBR400 but I'm not sure what you're asking other than will you get the same picture on the 4:3 XBR and a 16:9 the answer is yes. However, more of the black letterbox bars are exposed on a 4:3 TV than a 16:9.
    BTW is your DVD player set for a 16:9 TV? If not it should be to take avantage of the XBR's anamorphic squeeze feature, you'll see greater video resolution.

3. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

From what I understand, there is no difference in picture quality between a native 16:9 TV and a 4:3 TV doing the squeeze.
    -Chris

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    When it does the squeeze, you don't lose resolution, you GAIN. The picture is "squeezed" down to fit the screen better, but the image now fits the screen letterbox style, as it was meant to be viewed, rather than "hanging" off the screen on a 4:3 set. The relative size of the image is smaller, but the aspect ratio is still correct, and can now all be seen on the screen.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 10, 2001 at 10:05 AM]

5. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

6. Jim Christian

Jim Christian Stunt Coordinator