sony kv-36hs420 service menu??? explain

Discussion in 'Displays' started by allan espinoza, Feb 6, 2005.

1. allan espinoza

allan espinoza Stunt Coordinator

I just heard about a service menu and how it has adjustments for your monitor. What exactly is this service menu that i heard about and what does it exactly do? How do i get in there, thanks

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Allan, until you know a great deal more the service menu is not where you want to go. However, the service menu -- which is accessed by a special code -- is where one can do serious work (such as enabling the display to track as closely to 6,500D as possible). Professional calibrators work in the service menu.

3. allan espinoza

so in other words, do not touch!!! Well, besides doing self calibration from set up discs, will bringing a professional to calibrate my tv make that much of a difference? How much does that usually cost? thanks

4. Jack Briggs

You can plan to spend hundreds of dollars for an ISF-level professional calibration, and, in my opinion, it's worth it (nothing like an accurate grayscale). So, yes, it makes a difference. There's only so much you can do with the user menu and a calibration disc.

5. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

SRP for a tube set like this is $225 ...

There's a big difference between pouring in 4 quarts of oil into the car versus doing a tune up. It kind of like the difference between the $20 test disc and a professional calibration.

Just remember ... that while you can dig around and find the code to access the service menu, if you damage the set in there, you void your warranty ... goes without saying.

Regards

6. allan espinoza

Well seems good to me, but I cannot seem to find a professional around here, what do i need to search for? Who can i trust doing this, is there a company that is known everywhere or is it just finding one that says they know how?

7. Jack Briggs

8. allan espinoza

great thanks, I had one not too far from my house that I never knew was there.