Sony KV-30HS420 vs Sony KD-30XS955. Help.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ryan Wishton, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I was wondering if anyone has these tv's? Both are 30 inch Widescreen tv's. I am thinking about getting one of these for now and waiting another year or two for price decreases on bigger (42 inch) models of other technologies.

Sony KV-30HS420 $999

Sony KD-30XS955 $1399

Which has a better picture, sound, etc? I prefer hearing from someone who has compared both sets.

I know Option 2 looks better on paper, but is it really that significant?

Are they both really the same in A/V to the eye and ear, but your paying for the extra bells and whistles?

I sort of like option 2 because it has a built in HD, supposed better audio option, etc. The look on option 2 appears to be better as well.

I have seen number 1, but number 2 is nowhere in the area to view for myself.

Just wondering if the hike in price is worth it?

Anything known is appeciated.

P.S. Yes, I have checked AVS. Hard to get an unbiased opinion though. Naturally, most claim their set is best. What I am basically looking for is an unbiased opinion if even possible.

The 34 inch XBR 960 is not an option, though it would have been nice. It's way too heavy and the back is too big for the room. I am also saving for another bigger tv (42 inch) in a pretty short period of time (1-2 years) and prefer not to spend so much on a 34 inch.

2. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

I have a year old KV-34XBR910 and decided to go a little cheaper for the bedroom last month with the 30HS420. I'd say that the 955 does look better but the 420 looks pretty good. I have home theater setups in both places so I don't use the TV's sound....but I checked them to compare and the 910 kills the 420. The 955's tuner didn't matter to me because I'm on cable. Picture quality is better on the 910 but only noticeable side by side...I'm very happy with the 420, which I got for $899 locally. If I were to upgrade in a year or two, I'd probably save the $400-500 by going with the 420, unless better sound is worth that much to you. Both are great sets!

3. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Thanks Mark.

Your post has helped me.

I think I will try out the 955 and see how I like it. Sound is important to me and until I can get a good HT setup, it would be good. I dont have any HT setup and prefer to get a good one. Thats why I havent bought one yet.

I will buy that as well in a year or two.

I will be using the tv for sound for the time being, so I prefer to have good sound.

Once I get the 42 inch, this tv will go in a different room. I could always sell it too if I dont need it.

I like the built in HD as well. Our area does have HD channels available over the air that the cable company does not carry yet.

Also a nice option to have incase I ever need to dump cable, it goes out, I move, etc.