Sony KV-27FS13 problem - HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle Wynters, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Kyle Wynters

Kyle Wynters Auditioning

Help! Bought the set at Circuit City last Thursday. Hooked it up to my Sony DVP-7700 via component video and set the player to output 16:9 in conjunction with the TV set's 16:9 enhanced mode. Put in The Matrix expecting to be floored, but instead, the first thing I noticed is the left side of the widescreen slightly slopes upwards, a vertical pincushion effect if you will. So, I tested it out using other DVD's with a less wide viewing window (Saving Private Ryan and Dinosaur's 1.85:1) and the black bars still slope upwards on the left side. So over the weekend, I packed up the set, went back to Circuit City and got an exchange. However, when I hooked up the new set, voila, the same thing happens! I'm really at a loss as to what to do at this point. Should I exchange the set yet again? Should I call Sony customer service to have a tech look at it? Is there some service level adjustment that I can do to resolve this pincushion effect? Is it my DVD player? I am somewhat reluctant to exchange the set a third time since it is difficult for me to accept the odds of getting two bad sets in a row. Has anyone else experienced this problem with Sony's 2002 model WEGAs? Please help this frustrated HT Forum newbie.
    [Edited last by Kyle Wynters on August 13, 2001 at 10:15 AM]

2. Kyle Wynters

Kyle Wynters Auditioning

anyone with helpful advice out there? would be greatly appreciated.

3. Luke_A

Luke_A Agent

Have you tried messing with the "tilt" in the menu?

4. Chris Speights

Chris Speights Auditioning

There are probably service menu adjustments that will fix most of the major geometry errors. It seems that the Wega's have some geometry flaws in the corners, but what you have sounds like it could be adjusted. A sony tech could probably fix it. I posted a bunch of service menu info at http://home.earthlink.net/~chrissp8s/ under the Wega heading. I don't know which are the proper values to adjust, but the service manual (which I will be ordering) should help out.
    Good luck.
    Chris

5. BobRy

BobRy Auditioning

I bought the same set from Circuit City and I also have noticed some geometry problems. I have a slight geometry problem on the right side of the dispay (vertical lines aren't straight) and also convergence problems in the lower right corner (colors separate a little bit). I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. I mainly noticed it when I hooked up my computer display to it (which has a sharp vertical edge on the right) so I decided to try it out with movies. If it bothers me I guess I will try returning it, but from what I read here I am worried that I will just have similar or different problems with another set...
    Bob

6. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

Hey fellas. I just picked up the KV-27FS13, and when I watch widescreen movies, I notice that the top black bar is not straight across the screen, but it kind of slopes down a bit and then back up, more like a waveform then a line.
    It is not all that bad, but I was wondering which settings in the service menu I should be tweaking to hopefully alleviate this problem a little.