Sony KPxx-HW40 Owners: Where Do You Put Your Center Channel Speaker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig S, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    The newest price drop on these Sony's convinced me to take the plunge yesterday, and I bought a KP57-HW40 (Got it for $2060 plus tax - gotta love those Best Buy coupons). I know there are several of you out there who own either this set or the KP51-HW40 and I was wondering how you all were setting up your center channel speakers, given the set has no top shelf to speak of.

I've been looking at AV furniture on the net all day, and there are a few solutions, but many of them would cost more than the set!! Hopefully some of you guys have come up with some more cost-effective solutions. I have a few ideas, but since I have a couple of weeks before the set is delivered (they're having to transfer it from another store across the state) I thought I'd see what everyone else is doing.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My center speaker is about 18" wide, 5" high and 9" deep, weighs maybe 15-20 lb.

When my KP57HW40 arrived last October I hunted around the house and found a couple of scrap 2by4s to prop up the back, secured by some stick-on velcro to the slanted part of the tv cabinet. This was to be a temporary fix, but they aren't visible from the front and haven't fallen down yet so they're still there.

This won't work well if your center is one of the larger ones.

3. Lawrence Ch

Lawrence Ch Auditioning

Although not an ideal location, I put my center speaker to the right of my tv on the stereo cabinet. I guess it's not a center speaker anymore... ;P

I do not notice it so much since I sit back around 12-14 feet away from the tv. However, I'm going to build a shelf in the entertainment niche(hole in the wall) so that I can put all my home theatre stuff (including) the center speaker above the tv. The Sony KP-51HW40 is pretty low so I have lots of room to put stuff above it. It's Home Depot Expo time!

I thought about putting the center on top of the tv too since my center is not all that big. But then I remember I live in San Jose, CA. We just had a pretty good size earthquake last month and a few things did fall down.

4. bobby chohan

bobby chohan Extra

i dont have the same tv, i have a sony 43", but what i did was buy a grey shelf from ikea that is smooth and streamlined and mounted it behind the tv on the wall,and placed my center channel on it and moved the speaker so the front of the speaker sits flush with the tv,and the rest of the speaker sits on the shelf. Because the shelf is mounted level with the top of the tv, it isnt visable. Just for notes sake my center channel is an Energy ac 300.

5. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Thanks for the ideas!

My CC is a DefTech 2002 - it's a pretty hefty beast (21" long by 12" deep) so I don't know if the velcro 2x4 idea will work. Also, I have two very curious & active cats, so any solution has to be able to withstand the occasional feline acrobatics... [​IMG]

The shelf mounted to the wall behind the set won't work for me either, due to the odd place I'll be putting the set (my house is not very good for HT).

I did a search (D'Oh!) and found a good idea in this old thread:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=21781

Basically Derek Bang & Stacey Spears built shelf-stands around their Toshibas. It looks pretty good. My only concern is that the Sony is bigger, and I don't know that an MDF shelf spanning 52" would hold my CC without bowing. Hopefully I can figure out some way to brace the center.

I like this idea because of the way it frames the set. This frame could potentially serve 2 additional purposes:
    1. A place to hang some material (plexiglas??) in front to protect the screen & cloth speaker cover from the cats while the set is not in use.
    2. A place to mount mattes!
    Like Lawrence said, I think it's time to head to Home Depot! [​IMG]

Any thoughts?