Sony KP61HS10 video quality in 960i

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jerry_L, Apr 4, 2001.

1. Jerry_L

Jerry_L Auditioning

I own Sony's KP61HS10 61" HD ready TV and Sony's new SAT-HD100 HD decoder/DirecTv satelite receiver box. What I notice is that Sony's DRC (digital reality creation) does not do a very good job in upcoverting the 480i incoming satelite signal into 960i. The picture is not sharp like I expected and has a lot of pixelization. I have heard that satelite is better than cable (I actually had digital cable with 420 lines of resolution). But, in my case, the picture is worse! I Don't know why. I thought the HD decoder/satelite box was the problem as it is a new product (usually new products have bugs to be worked out) but I hooked up a SAT-B55 (Sony's DirectTV satelite box - very common) to my TV, the result was the same. I have read a review at another site referring to a product review from etown.com regarding this 61" TV that this DRC feature is not very good and creates a lots of pixelization. This might be the problem, which means that I bought a crappy TV. But so many people say that this is a great TV and has received great reviews. I am confused. If any one can tell me what the problem is or if there is a way to turn off the DRC I greatly appreciated. I am even considering selling it and buying Mitsubishi's 65" Diamond Series or Pioneer Elite Pro-710. Please advise.

2. Richard Driskill

Richard Driskill Stunt Coordinator

Jerry,
    The following first paragraph is speculation.
    It sounds like the DRC is a circuit of the TV set, right? If so, it may be similar to the Sony SLV-M11HF VHS deck's "Reality Generator", in which case I think the DRC is expecting to take analog signals and refine them. Also check to see if you are 100% sure your using the right input versus which signal (analog/digital) your using. There may or may not be a way to turn the circuit off, check out the TV's set-up menu, read the manual, or contact Sony.
    DirecTV is transmitted at 425 horizontal lines of visual resolution, with the exception of the HDTV channels.

3. Darren_F

Darren_F Auditioning

Most readers feel that the infamous e-town review was a little off in its description of DRC. It is true that DRC does not have inverse telecine pulldown and may introduce digital artifacts into some material, but that review was particularly and, as most agree, unfairly harsh.
    DRC is not perfect, no argument there. I have a 61HS10 as well, and with Time Warner DTV, I see artifacts all the time, but it is not clear if that is from DRC or from the digital compression of DTV. It is probably a combination, but note I never see them when watching my 480i DVD's. The 3-2 pulldown issues have actually grown to be more of a problem for me; as my eyes have gotten more sophisticated, I notice unmatched frames and the jerkiness associated with film to video conversion much more readily.
    I can't comment on the upconversion processes of the satellite boxes, but I imagine the same issues apply.
    Two other things to note:
    1) It is pretty amazing that the standard 525 line interlaced NTSC signal looks as good as it does. Remember that this standard was designed over 50 years ago, before color and before TV screens were bigger than 12" diagonal.
    2) If you are concerned about the performance of DRC, drive over to a retailer and do a side by side comparison of an HS10 to other TVs displaying 480i source images. It is definitely on par with anything in its price range, argurably better, and blows away anything cheaper. It is definitely not perfect, but we are not talking about HDTV here either.

4. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

I'm sure the answer is, "Yes," but have you calibrated the set with Avia or VE?
    John

5. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

I prefer the Sony DRC's 480p image as opposed to it's 960i image. It is sharper. To change it to 480p, you'll need to enter the service mode and change DRCP from 0 to 1. Do this while on the channel line-up page and you'll see how much cleaner and stable 480p is. By the way, I think that a decent cable feed can look better than non-HD DBS on the HS10. My local nightly news shows are CRYSTAL clear - almost 3D! I don't have to worry about the "swimmy" image from over-compressed DBS. The only thing I miss about DBS is the channel line-up pages [​IMG]

6. Jerry_L

Jerry_L Auditioning

Thanks all for trying to answer my question. I have calibrated the set with VE. I am going to change the DRCP to 480p and see if this will improve the picture quality. By the way has anyone had theiry set calibrated by a professional (ISF). If so, what was the result.
    Jim, you and I see the same thing in that a good cable signal produces a better picture than DBS. I can't figure it out. DBS is suppose to be better than cable. I have read many of your posting regarding banding issues. I hope you have gotten it fixed. My set was produced in 12/00 and it does not have the banding issue. Maybe what ever was wrong with the TV, it was fix before my set was manufactured. However, my set does blink 11 time before the picture comes on (when the set is cold and turned on for the first time). Thereafter, it will blink 6 times before the picture comes on. Any suggestions why this is happening. Is something wrong with the TV that I need to call Sony?? Please advise.

7. Jim Christian

Jim Christian Stunt Coordinator