Sony KP51W500 vs Panasonic PT53

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

How do these sets differ? They both have decent line doubling and they both pass 480p natively, correct? The Panasonic locks onto FULL for 16:9 though, right?

2. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Haven't seen the Sony myself, but from what I can gather, it sounds like the Sony has better linedoubling for regular TV viewing--probably has better zoom and stretch modes too. Both support 480p natively. The current line of Panny's (wx42/wx52) do NOT lock into FULL w/ 480p signals.

I believe the Sony also has DVI/HDCP while the Panny does not.

If the $$$ difference is not a concern, I'd probably go w/ the Sony over the Panny although there is the concern of the flicker problem.

FWIW, I have the Panny 53".

_Man_

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Fair enough. So Sony = better line doubler but possible risk of flicker problem. I understand that Sony is taking care of the flicker problem. Panasonic slightly less better line doubler although both DO NOT LOCK onto FULL anymore. That is good news though [​IMG] thanks.....as in my other post, I may seriously be looking into going with an LCD front projector after all [​IMG]

This might sound crazy, but believe it or not, I do have another option for the placement of the subwoofer. I could build a nice huge cabinet and place the Mirage up above near the ceiling. It would work. Crazy though, and who knows if it'll blend ok up there...but it would possibly work if it sounded good. Its Bi-polar so it won't shake and its also sheilded [​IMG]

4. JoeRiley

JoeRiley Stunt Coordinator

what does "Lock onto Full" mean?
    :b

5. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

It means your DVD player is playing a NON-anamorphic DVD and the TV locks onto the full NON-anamorphic picture. So you end up with a horizontally squeezed picture with bars on all sides. Some DVD players and TV's allow a stretch to fix the aspect ratio, but if you can't zoom, you're stuck with a smaller boxed in picture. Someone else here can probably describe it better. Its not too much too worry about except for NON-anamorphic widescreen sources like NON-anamorphic DVD's, widescreen VHS tapes and LD's.