What's new

SONY KP51HW40. fuzzy bad picture.. help (1 Viewer)

chad k

Stunt Coordinator
hey guys, long time no see, i just bought a sony KP-51hw40. my first projection screen, I was using a 41 mitsubishi tube.

the sony looks o.k with my DVD's but my cable which looked pretty dang good on all of my other TV's in the house. but cable and DTV looks HORRIBLE on my new sony kind of blurry and such. any ideas anyone else use this tv. if so give me some setting to use while watching cable and DTV i have tweaked and cant get it ?

thanks
chad k

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
Goodguys delivered my KP-51HW40 this morning. I have no problem at all on the pics from DVD, cable... Probably something wrong with the connections.

But can anyone recommended what mode I should set on DRC mode???

-Progressive
-Interlaced
-Cinemotion

and "wide mode" what should I set:

-full
-normal
-zoom
-wide zoom

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Binh, the DRC to use depends on your source. Usually the TV will choose the correct mode. Cable, OTO, etc. will use the Interlaced setting. If you have a progressive DVD player or game console (XBox, for example), the set should lock into Progressive mode. If you have a standard DVD player, the set will choose Cinemotion when the DVD is flagged as film material. The Cinemotion DRC does the 3-2 pulldown needed to make movies look their best. Note that some discs are improperly flagged so you may have to manually switch to Cinemotion at times.

I think the Sony Cinemotion DRC does such a good job that I have put off for the time being my planned upgrade to a progressive DVD player.

As for "wide mode": Full is what will be used for anamorphic DVDs. The set should switch into Full mode automatically. For non-anamorphic DVDs & laserdiscs you'll probably want to use Zoom, which is a strictly proportional zoom. Wide Zoom is a non-proportional zoom that stretches & zooms more at the sides than in the middle. Normal mode will give you the 4:3 picture in the middle of the set with
grey bars on either side.

When watching regular 4:3 TV or cable you'll probably want to use Wide Zoom (my preference) or Zoom, as too much use of Normal could potentially burn in those grey bars. To avoid burn in make sure you keep your Picture & Brightness settings at or below 50%. I recommended always using Pro mode (picture mode), as SVM is disabled and the other controls are set at a somewhat reasonable 50%. After calibrating with Avia, my Picture & Brightness are down to around 30%.

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Graig, yeah I don't have progressive scan DVD, I have 5 discs yammy DV-C6280. So, make sure I set DRC @ cinemotion.
So far, it looks like wide zoom does the best job on my set on cableTV, DVD (watching The Matrix).
Right now, my bright is around 40%, picture is lower.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Binh,
Widezoom introduces stretching, you don't want to use it for dvd.

Go into your dvd player's setup menu and look for the tv-type, or aspect ratio, item. Change this from 4/3 to 16/9, which will turn off the player's anamorphic downconversion.

Watch your dvds with the set in Full mode. Non anamorphic dvds will be letterboxed inside a 4/3 area on the screen, use the Zoom on the TV or on the player if it has this feature to fill the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks