Sony KP46WT500 vs Hitachi 43FWX20B

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_L_C, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Greg_L_C

Greg_L_C Stunt Coordinator

This will be my first TV bigger than 27" and I have decided to choose between the Sony KP46WT500 or the Hitachi 43FWX20B.

I know very little about projection tvs. These 2 models will fit in the custom cabinet that I built so I can't go any larger.

Both have nice pictures. I looked at the sony at 3 different stores and 2 of the 3 had a slight red tint.
    the Hitachi was displayed at 2 stores and had a real nice picture but the 4:3 viewing didn't seem as nice as the Sony, especially while watching basketball( which I do alot of). My wife watches prime time TV and I watch about 2 DVD's a week.

My pro/con list

Sony

PRO's
    nice picture
    looked good watching sports.
    DVI
    wife likes silver cabinet
    nicer remote

CON's
    slight reddish color to picture
    inputs really on wrong side for me
    slightly higher price.

Hitachi

PRO's
    Nice picture and color
    slightly cheaper

CON's
    My main concern comes from this link

No DVI

any comments or suggestions on these TV's would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Greg

2. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

I would definitely recommend not getting a set which does not have DVI/HDCP, otherwise you'll be out of luck once HD-DVD hits the streets in a few years.

I recently bought a set in this size range and the final choice came down to the Sony or the Hitachi. I ended up getting the Sony because I felt that it had a slightly better picture. Although the color decoding is not perfect, I plan to have the set adjusted by an ISF guy in the next month or so. The set does have a slight red push which can be temporarily aleviated by decreasing the saturation. So far I'm really happy with the set. It has a great picture and I can hardly wait to get my Dish 6000 HD receiver.

3. Gilbert ^P

Gilbert ^P Stunt Coordinator

i don't know much at all about the Hitachi but i do have the Sony kp46WT500 you speak of and i love it.

Great picture with DVD
    DVI HDCP input
    Red Push easily fixed in Service Menu
    HD looks spectacular.
    Great Size
    Easy remote to use
    Nice cabinet if you like silver
    It comes with the stand
    Very easy to tweak
    Good websites dedicated Sony TV's.

4. Colin-K

Colin-K Agent

I just bought the Sony KP-46WT500 yesterday. It's getting delivered Friday.

I decided after months of looking at projectors in this size range. At different stores the picture look different. I was deciding between the Sony and a Toshiba. I like the features of the Sony and the connections, but I honestly chose the Sony after reading the review on www.cnet.com. Everything I read I like so will see how it performs at home. I got it at Circuit City same as cash for 12mo. I paid $1498 and got the stand for free. The local best but had the TV for that price but only offered financing for 6 mo. Best buy had a choice over a recliner or the stand. Anyway will let you know.

http://electronics.cnet.com/electron...tml?tag=subnav

5. Greg_L_C

Tanks for the responses.

Colin-K, was $1498 the list price at Circuit City? Did you talk'm down a little? Best price I've seen localy is $1709 at Best Buy.

Thanks
    Greg

6. Daniel Metcalf

Daniel Metcalf Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Gilbert P, the Sony can be tweaked to look REALLY good! (thanks again for the tips Gilberto[​IMG])

7. Gilbert ^P

no problem, glad to help[​IMG]

8. Greg_L_C

Well, I bit the bullet and got the Sony today. Just got home with it, but my wife can't help me lift it out of my truck! My neighbor will be home about 6, have to wait till then.

Any advice on unpacking and firing it up?

Thanks
    Greg

9. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Congrats on your purchase, I have the same set and love it. I calibrated my set using Avia, I use standard picture mode for normal TV viewing (Comcast digital cable) and pro picture mode for DVDs (I would all so use pro for HDTV if it applies to you.)

Avia Standard picture mode settings.

Picture 8 from the very left
    Brightness 15 from the very left
    Color 16 from the very left
    Hue one to the left from the default position
    Sharpness 9 from the very left
    Temp. neutral

Pro picture mode settings

Picture 7 from the very left
    Brightness 14 from the very left
    Color 17 from the very left
    Hue one to the left from the default position
    Sharpness 7 from the very left
    Temp. neutral

Basically turn the settings all the way down then move it to the right. Keep in mind that the main menu and when you click to adjust are different, there are more notches in the bar where you adjust it. The settings are from the main menu not the actual bar where you adjust the settings at.

10. Greg_L_C

Thanks Ottis and others for the advice.

After unpacking and doing some wire management, I fired it up and was very pleased with the picture right out of the box. I was kind of nervous about it because 3 of the 4 sets I played with a different stores had a slight red push. The vivid setting is way to bright but the movie setting looked really good. So I started watching DVD's. Ice Age looked so good I sat down and watched the whole thing. The detail of the hair and the color looked amazing. I plan on playing with the settings today. I guess I need to get one of those Avia disc right away, But I'll try Ottis's settings until then.

Some questions:

I don't know what the difference is between the full mode and the wide zoom. both look almost the same.

I've watched a lot of Fox news, CNN, MSNBC lately and with a war starting I'll be watching a lot of the news channels. Should I worry about burning the screen with all the little graphics they leave up all the time?

I'm not sure what the DRC/Cinemotion does. Kind of looks like the 3:2 pull-down mode?

How should I clean the protective screen?

Thanks

Greg

11. Gilbert ^P

i would definatly use the zoom mode to eliminate the scrolling at the bottom of the text when watching the news. Switch up on news channels to avoid static images like CNN getting burned in.

12. Ottis Fletcher

Widezoom I use for my TV shows, such as sitcoms and what not. If a show has letter boxing on it the learning channels do that a lot use widezoom it eliminates the letter boxing so all you see is the picture.

Full for all anamorpic sources, DVDs, video games, news to see all of the ticker if your so inclined to possibly damage your new set.

Normal for 4X3 material where OAR is important, I watch a the top stories on the news for a few a minutes and use normal for that.

Zoom this is good to use for news with a ticker, it zooms past it. Zoom is all so good non anamorphic DVDs where the OAR is not really that important.

13. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

14. Ottis Fletcher

Zoom, well zooms in to fill the screen. It cuts off the top and bottom of the picture it degrades quality slightly, but academy standard classic movies I think its better to use standard or full. Full will stretch the image to fit the screen, the picture looks a little bit distorted but its better then losing to top and bottom in some cases.