What's new

Sony KP46WT500 owners...question?? (1 Viewer)

I am considering purchasing this set and I want to get an idea, from other owners, on the usual viewing distance.

I have taken all the measuremnts of the set and from the front of it to the front of my couch is approx. 8 feet. When sitting back on my couch the distance is now approx. 9 feet. Anyone sitting at this distance or even closer? Is it too big, too small or just right? Given my distance should I be considering another set, maybe a 42?

Thanks

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I sit 7 feet eyeball to screen from a 56" HDTV, which is about 5 1/2 ft to the edge of my couch. This is the very limit for DVD, I could get closer for HDTV. Definately do not go smaller. Remember one thing, when you get it home and first set it up it will look HUGE!!! Give it a few days and you will wonder if you went too small (I did, but I really could not sit 7 ft. from a 65"). Resist the urge return it because it looks too big, you will regret it.

Also, I went the the store I was purchasing at, had them put in a DVD and measured with a tape measure to get the distance I would be viewing from. I set up a chair at the proper distance, did a quick calibration and watched the set for 20 minutes. I told the salesman to go away and leave me alone and he might sell the TV. He let me be, actually saying "you look like you know more than I do anyway".

JackS

Supporting Actor
I bought this set for its size (smaller) only because of my very small room and an inability to integrate anything much larger. As jeff said, the bigger the better and thats my opinion also regardless of the viewing distance. Keep in mind that no one ever emerges from a theater complaining that the screen was too large.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks