Sony KP43HT20 - setup questions....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Brenneman, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Mike Brenneman

Mike Brenneman Auditioning

I am going over to a friend's house to help him setup this 4:3, HDTV-ready TV. I have some advance questions that folks might be able to help me with:

- does this set allow you to disable SVM from the user menu? If not, is there a way to do it in the service menu?

- what default color temp setting will likely come closest to 6500K?

- does anyone have any other tweaks or comments about this set? I suspect the 53" and 61" HDTV models are similar other than picture size.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Mike

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

SVM has 4 levels on Sony RPTVs: Off in Pro pic mode, low in Movie, higher in Standard, and highest in Vivid.
    The Warm color temp is closest to ntsc standard, Neutral may be best for regular cable or satellite.
    It would be very helpful if you had an AVIA or VE disc to calibrate the set with. Lacking that, turn Picture (sonyspeak for Contrast) down to about 35-40%, Brightness to maybe 50-60%, Color to about 30-40%, sharpness maybe 20% as ballpark starting points.
    Maybe take a look at the Sony Tweaks section over at Home Theater spot. Most of them are for the new HW40 widescreen sets, but those regarding turning off SVM and eliminating red push should also apply to the 4/3 sets.

3. Mike Brenneman

Mike Brenneman Auditioning

Thanks Steve. Those were the answers I needed. I do have VE so will definitely use that.

Mike