Sony KP-65WV700 in the home impressions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveRS, Jul 26, 2002.

1. SteveRS

SteveRS Stunt Coordinator

The first thing I noticed was the cabinet. The silver plastic below the screen really stands out in the showroom but in my darkened living room no problem.
    In fact the base matches the wall behind the screen to give what Sony calls the "floating screen" effect. [​IMG]
    Really, I am adjusting to this issue.
    The out of the box setup on this set is very good. I was very impressed with the focus. Especially the edge focus.
    When the manual convergence was selected from the setup menu it brings up a 63 point plus symbol(+) grid.
    The (+)s on the very edges of the screen were uniform in size to the (+)s in the center of the screen. Very nice!
    Convergence was a snap after warmup.
    Put in Avia Guide to Home Theater.
    Overscan was at 5% top and left side, 4% right side and bottom. Not bad.
    Geometry is good with just a very slight horizontal bow. I can live with it.
    No vertical linearity problems, Nice.
    I don't have a color analyzer but whites appears to be fairly close on the warm setting.
    However there is a slight graying in the corners when a 50 IRE white field is shown. Not bad when compared to other manufacturers sets. I won't mention names so those owners won't get their panties in a twist[​IMG] I'm learnin'.
    Transitions between black and white are incredibly clean. Wow, no SVM or ringing or edge enhancement or whatever you want to call it on Pro mode.
    Time for some HD on Dish 6000 with the PBS demo loop.
    The Italy flyover is playing now and I am flying with the seagulls over azure blue waters approaching a town with white walled houses with terracotta roofs.
    Look you can see the individual tiles and the different earth tones on each one.
    I will be back with more info.
    Wow would you look at that!
    Part 2
    Moved the center speaker on 1' stand into position in front of IR sensor and remote will not operate the set. Bummer.
    The WV700 audio system sounds very good.
    Vocals and dialog are very clear and the speakers are sweet and detailed with music. The neighbors will appreciate this feature.
    The deinterlacing of the new DRC V1 is surprisingly good.
    I put on The Fifth Element Superbit Leeloo reconstruction scene. I then switched the S9000ES between Progressive and Interlaced modes. In a blind test I would not be able to tell them apart.
    Checked out the 720P-->1080i conversion by switching between the two on the Dish 6000. Looked good but it seemed to soften the resolution just a tad with the conversion.
    Damn, I am still bummed about having to get out of my Lazy Boy to move the center speaker away from the IR sensor. [​IMG]

2. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

The new models still can not fit a center channel larger than a bose cube on it. Was hoping this was going to be fixed. [​IMG]

3. SteveRS

Steve,
    There are many workarounds to fit a large speaker on top.
    The top of the screen bezel is 3.3" deep.
    The bezel is .75" above the top of the MDF cabinet which extends back another 8" deep.
    So all that needs to be done is to raise the back of the speaker .75" to have a level platform that is 11.3" deep.

Right now I have a 75 lb Infinity SM-155 that measures 40"x18"x13" sitting on 1.5" high rubber door stops at the rear.
    At the front are 1/8" rubber pads.

There is no problem with a top mounted center speaker on a WV700.
    However with a center speaker on a 1' stand below the screen there is.
    The IR sensor is blocked by a PSB C6i and the remote will not function.

A small mirror angled below the screen will reflect the IR to the sensor but a IR repeater might be a better solution.
    Or remove the 1' stand and have the speaker closer to the floor.

Sony kind of screwed up by putting all the user controls dead center below the screen.

4. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Yes, it's possible for a DIY or to balance a speaker up there. Just makes more sense for them to put around a 1 foot shelf up there like other manufacturers.

5. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Steve,
    How much better is the picture quality on the WV over the 57HW40? Any chance to see the new Hitachi 57SWX20 and how it compares?

Also, with the Dish 6000, can it upconvert 720p to 1080i and is it better than the Sony's upconvert?

Thanks,
    Gil

6. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Can you place a deeper MDF shelf on the Sony and support it with 2x3's in the rear attached to the back of the set? I guess the rear cabinet is plastic but have not looked closely on the store models.

7. SteveRS

Gil,
    I have not been able to compare this set with any other new models.
    The only comparisons I can make are from memory of at home viewing of several of last years models. I have not seen last years Sony models at home either.

In fact I bought the WV700 sight unseen.
    When I did see the set on the floor of GG it looked like crap with the source being displayed. I just about cancelled the order and glad now that I did not.

As for the WV700 cabinet.
    The cabinet is MDF which accounts for the ~300 lb weight. The top is solid MDF and you can put anything you want up there.
    Just allow for the .75" elevation difference with the higher front bezel.
    The entire front is wrapped with plastic which extends about 3" back.

Concerning the 720p to 1080i conversion.
    You bring up a good point that I overlooked.
    When I switched the Dish 6000 over to 720p output I didn't think about any degradation of the signal that was occuring within the Dish 6000.
    Looks like I need another 720p source.
    Hopefully ABC will start broadcasting in 720p in Vegas soon.