Sony KP-65WS510 Great Deal for me!

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Matt Obie, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Matt Obie

Matt Obie Extra

I just bought a Sony KP-65WS510 65" RPTV. I was at Best Buy and they had it for $2500 plus Tax. I bought a refurbished one from Ubid for $1230 Shipped. 1 year parts and labor and 2 years on the CRT's. It looked very nice in the store, Hopefully it will show up undamaged and working :b
    I bought my Denon 3300 from them w/ no problems 2 years ago. So what do you guys think?

2. John S

John S Producer

That is a screaming good price.... I bought a refurb, so far so good.

3. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Well, it sounds a little risky to be honest. But, if it doesn't have any flaws apart from cosmetic ones, I would say you got a heck of a deal. You're certainly braver than I would be.

Of course I could never fit a tv that big into my house anyway so it's a moot point I guess. That's a big friggin tv my friend. My 46 incher seems huge to me--I can't imagine looking at something almost 20" larger. But if you have the space for it and it works, you certainly got a great bargain. At the very least you have the warranty to fall back on.

Good luck and happy viewing.

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Well, I'm waiting to order the 51 inch model, let me know how's the picture. The Sony had a overall better and warmer picture in comparison to the other sets including Mitsubishi. Maybe you can contact Sony and see if any extended warranty can be purchased for this set from them or any reputable dealer.

5. Matt Obie

Matt Obie Extra

I will let you know when I get it and how everything turns out. I will look into buying an extended warranty, That sounds like a good idea.

Matt

6. Matt Obie

Matt Obie Extra

Well I recieved my TV a couple of days ago, It showed up in perfect condition, If the box wouldn't say refurbished on it I never would've known. One problem though, I can't get it into the basement where I plan to use it. DOH!
    :b
    I am still cutting windows in the basement walls so luckily I will be able to fit it in on Saturday.
    [​IMG]

Matt

7. John S

John S Producer

Those 65" widescreen CRT RPTV sure are monsters huh?

Just to suggest you may want to leave your self a way to get it back out. But I'm sure you already thought of that one.

I also bought refurbished, and am very pleased with what I got, and what I paid.

8. Jerome Grate

65 inches, sheesh talking about the next best thing to being in the program.

9. Matt Obie

Matt Obie Extra

I got it into the basement this weekend, It looks Great.
    Now my next project is to build it into the wall.
    I can't wait.

10. Jerome Grate

That's great news, just got my tax check and will be ordering the 51 inch Sony. Did you calibrate it with Avia or Video Essentials. The most harmful thing to your t.v. is high brightness and contrast.

11. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Hopefully you won't have any trouble. I personally don't trust them(refurbs).
    I found the opposite. The place I viewed them in was a fairly light controlled room with both sets calibrated via VE. The tweaking parameters of the Mits were more impressive too. I couldn't find an ISF tech or a salesman to recommend Sony to me(and I didn't care for their Silver cabinet either..) so I scratched them off the list a while back.

Enjoy your big screens though. It's a little difficult getting used to them at first. Some things looks great, some don't. It all depends on the source.