What's new

Sony KP-57HW40: Good prices out there if you are in to wheeling and dealing! (1 Viewer)

Nate Haley

Agent
I was considering getting this TV...I just have one question for you....What are the strech modes like for 4:3 material? I watch a lot of football and basketball games that are not broadcast in 16:9 format and I can't stand using the gray sidebars...

By the way thanks for posting the receipts, my local retailer has already agreed to match the prices.!!

Mike Pattee

Second Unit
It has 4 modes for 4:3 signal. Normal, Full, Zoom and Wide Zoom. Wide zoom does a good job of not distorting too much along with not losing too much to the zoom.

Mike

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Yes, Wide Zoom is what you'll want and need to use (to avoid any burn-in) for material like you asked about.

I love the set - congrats on getting the price match!

Mike

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
The Wide Zoom mode is used to display regular 4x3 material (DIRECTV, etc) STRETCHED to fill the entire 16x9 screen.
This helps stop the chance of getting screen "burn in" from the grey bars that would be present on this, or any 16x9 set, that would be displayed in the normal mode.
Wide Zoom takes a few viewings to get used to - at least for me anyway. It slowly stretches the picture (with little stretching in the middle of the screen and more toward the edges).
I'm now used to it (after having the set for about 2 months) and I really don't think anymore about it.
The benefit of having this TV is for DVD's (looks amazing!!) and HDTV signals (which I don't have yet). The Wide Zoom mode does it's job considerably well on the HW40 set of Sony HD Ready TV's.
Good Luck - hopefully I didn't confuse you further - if someone can do a better job of explaining wide zoom - please feel free :)
Mike

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I've seen that wide zoom effect on a Sony direct view in England (where widescreen is a little more widespread). It's is a little odd but you do get used to it.

N

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks