Sony KP-51WS500 or Toshiba 50H82?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ray Chuang, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

I have a friend who's looking for a good, decent widescreen RPTV that doesn't hog a lot of space.

Question: which one is better, the Sony KP-51WS500 or Toshiba 50H82? I've heard the 50H82 is slightly better if you need to support 720p signals, especially if you have a Microsoft XBox (which has an optional 720p component video output). I've seen both RPTV's and really can't tell the difference in picture quality.

2. Todd_R

Todd_R Extra

I purchased the KP-51WS500 after looking at the Toshiba. What I found was that basically it comes down to one thing...high quality input vs. low quality input. The toshiba, out of the box, looks considerably better for poor quality feeds such as cable or sat. The Sony is very grainy OTB for such inputs. The Sony however seemed to have a better quality picture for HIGH quality feeds such as DVD & HDTV. I found no other TV's in the same price-range that had a better picture for HD than the Sony & Hitachi. The Hitachi looked equally as bad or worse for LOW quality than the Sony though. I liked Sony's stretch mode better than the Hitachi as well, but the Toshiba had a little better stretch going for it.

Now that I have the Sony, I've been able to do service menu tweaks so that the grainy picture on cable signals have been improved dramatically. So now I feel the sony is at least close in picture quality for LOW quality presentations & is better than the Tosh for HIGH quality. As for the 720p issue, none of the TV's can support it natively. The sony 'down-converts' to 480p while the Tosh 'up-converts' to 1080i. I have heard that the Tosh also doesn't handle 480p the same way as the Sony does which is something that the Sony does better as it displays 480p as 480p. From what I've heard, the Toshiba converts 480p to 540p which introduces artifacts. I'd bet this is why the Sony seemed to have a more crisp picture for 480p DVD's when I was shopping.

If I were you, I'd look at the Sony & Hitachi 1st. For true 480p DVD display, better looking HDTV (both Hitachi & Sony), better looking external case too, go with the Sony! The ONLY thing to be aware of is the Flicker issue with the Sony.

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I really like, and own, Toshiba. Great color fidelity out of the box (after the usual adjustments of contrast, etc.), great stretch modes, and as Todd_R says it does better than Sony with marginal signals (which is most of what's broadcast). It's also about 6" shallower than most RPTVs, so that sounds like a factor for your friend.
    But chances are, your friend would be delighted with either set. [​IMG]
    Jan

4. Todd_R

Todd_R Extra

I few days ago I did the rest of the service menu tweaks that are recommended with the Sony & now my cable signal & Dish signal are EXCELLENT! All of the grainyness is gone & the picture is bright, clear, colorful & detailed. There is no doubt that out of the box, the Sony is really horrible for low quality inputs, but with about 20 minutes in the service menu, it looks simply great. Before I had only changed SVM & a couple other things, but now I did all of them & it's great. I actually can't believe how good it looks as I figured I'd just have to deal with the poor picture for basic cable. I won't now. It's as good or better than the Toshiba now for SD. If you DON'T feel comfortable going into the service menu & don't want to pay for someone to do so, the Toshiba will be much better for those SD shows.

These tweaks also made the KP-51WS500's DVD & HDTV quality become out of sight good!! I thought it's picture for high quality input was better than the Tosh before & now it's even better. As for the depth of the set, the Sony is very narrow in depth compared to most TV's @ 24 1/2" but the Tosh is smaller at only 21 2/3'. Both are smaller than most.

As long as I stay away from the flicker issue, I'm SO glad I went with the Sony. I agree 100% though that you can't really go wrong with either set. They are both fine sets.

-Todd

5. JimC_A

JimC_A Stunt Coordinator

I've had my Toshiba for 6 months now. I would recommend it without reservation. DVD and HD are superb. Do yourself a favor and check out all the options available in your price range. Good luck and happy shopping.

6. Todd_R

Todd_R Extra

I'd agree. In no way am I saying anything bad about the Toshiba. No doubt it is a top choice & most people would be VERY happy with it. It has a GREAT picture for DVD & HDTV as well as SD material. I think the Sony picture was a little better is all. It's HD picture was better for sure. When I saw the toshiba, I could see scan lines...I could not with the Sony. I've read a couple people say the same thing too. This was the final reason I went with the Sony. It was really so close a call that I agonized of it for a month!! Toshiba...Sony...Toshiba...Sony!! I was driving myself crazy flip flopping back & forth. I chose the Sony but I'm sure I'd have been just as happy with the Toshiba (happier if I get the flicker problem!!!).

You can't go wrong with either...it's not a contest...just personal perference. To be honest, I would have picked the Hitachi had it been 2 inches less wide!! I liked it's picture the best of the three!

7. JayQuinty

JayQuinty Extra

Todd,

Can you elaborate on the flicker problem. I was watching the Browns game today on my KP46WS500 and noticed the orange jersey flickering on the Cleveland guys when they did a close up. The orange jersey was kinda pulsing, is the best way I could describe it. I think someone in the family had accidentally changed the mode on the TV to "Vivid", though, and I changed it back to "Normal". I only watched a short bit of the game, so don't know if that fixed it or not. I thought it was just because I don't get that great of a picture on SD feed, but could this be the flicker problem you're refering to? I hadn't noticed it up until today, but I've only had the TV for about 2 weeks now.

Jay

8. Todd_R

Todd_R Extra

Flickering will be during dark scenes & you'll see the picture go lighter, then dark. It is very intermitant at first, but then starts to happen often. In the end, you'll get a green tone that flickers on & off. You'll be able to see this on all inputs / modes. You can check it by looking at the gray bars in 4:3 mode. They will flicker as well. I've had mine for almost 4 weeks & haven't had a problem...yet.

What you had doesn't seem like the flicker.

-Todd

ps - if you do a search here & other forums you'll find lots of info. I highly recommend joining the Yahoo Sony HDTV group.

9. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I've got a 51ws500. It has the flicker. I had two boards replaced yesterday morning which the tech said would stop the flicker. It was back last night. The flicker makes it look as though the screen were lit by candlelight. The flicker bug also is usually paired with one of the color guns flashing too much, before the fix for me it was red, now its green.

I'm going over my options of what to do now but if I could go back I'd get the Pioneer 53. I've never liked the 540p of the Toshibas, although I envy their shallow depth.

10. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

Oh yeah, forgot- the flicker usually starts to show up after 100-200 hours of use. When it wasn't flickering the 51ws500 was terrific.

11. Todd_R

Todd_R Extra

Hi Phil,

I know it's a hassle, but I've read that if you have your guns exchanged, it'll fix the problem. That seems to be the ONLY fix. Just make sure the tech is an ISF who can calibrate & converge for all imputs/modes.

Good Luck!

-Todd

12. JayQuinty

JayQuinty Extra

Todd
    I joined the Yahoo Sony group and yes, there's lots of info there. Sounds like the flickering issue is all too common, on the KP51 anyway,and I recently read that Sony just issued 6 new service bulletins on how to fix it!! Yikes. I have the KP46, and since it's not as popular as the larger screen KP's, there's not as much info available out there specifically on my TV. So I'm not sure if the flicker problem will rear it's head on my set, but I'm into my 2nd hundred hours so I guess I'll find out soon!
    One thing I've read is that the service menu's are very different on the KP46 and KP51", which is a bummer because I haven't been able to find the data on the KP46 service menu. Someone on the Yahoo thread with the 46 is going thru his service menu and says he'll post the info on Yahoo once he's done documenting it. However, since I'm new to RPTV's in general, and having never even gone into the service menu, the jury is still out as to whether I should even mess with it!! But being the tinkerer that I am, it's very tempting [​IMG]
    Jay

13. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

With either set, you'll find yourself wanting to tweak the picture. With either set, you'll be in hog heaven once you get any defects fixed (flickering with the Sony, speaker hiss with the Toshiba), if indeed your set has either defect.
    I agree with Todd and wouldn't tell anyone, as a blanket statement, to get one set or the other, if that person is going to tweak.
    When you're done, you'll have a fine set either way. [​IMG]
    Jan