What's new

Sony KP-51HW40 or Toshiba 50HX81? (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have a 57" Sony HW40 and love it. I like the fact that it will display 480p natively. The Tosh upconverts 480p to 540p, and according to some this causes some loss of resolution. This is something you may not even notice, thoug.

Sony variable stretch is very good, as is Toshiba's.

Sony lets you adjust or eliminate SVM in the service menu, and you can also achieve 0 red push by adjusting one service menu item.

If you've adjusted your present Sony direct view the HW40 will be a snap as it "feels" like a Sony direct view as far as adjusting picture parameters.

You might want to check out the Toshiba and Sony forums over at Home Theater Spot to get an idea of what lot's of owner's experiences have been with these two models.

Justin Ch.

Auditioning
thanks for your reply. I've been over to the spot and there's a lot of stuff over there too.
To the average eye, is the 540 upconvert on the Tosh really that noticable? I'm sure both sets are tremendous in thier own right, but if the upconverting problem is even noticable to the untrained eye, then i might as well bail on the 50HX81 and go with the Sony. I have many Sony and Toshiba products in my home (a 37" Tosh TV, Tosh DVD player, various pieces of Sony audio equipment) so quality of product is not a concern of mine. :)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Resolution drop off is about 10 to 15% ... instead of the full 540 lines of horizontal resolution ... you lose up to 60/70 lines on the fine end. So you get about 470-480 lines.

Visible to even the untrained eye ... yes, but only in areas where there should be a lot of fine detail.

Hair for instance.

Regards

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
How good is Toshiba's 3:2 pulldown? Maybe it's better to use a good interlaced DVD player & have the set upconvert to 540p. Any artifacts with this as opposed to feeding it a 480p signal to upconvert?

Justin Ch.

Auditioning
Michael,

You wouldn't happen to have any extra input on Sony: KP-51HW40 would you? This set has become my top choice because of it's considerably lower price compared to the Tosh (well, lower price in Canada, don't know how it is in the States). Your opinion is appreciated.

Thanks for your reply as well.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
sony 51hw40 ...
very nice image with an ugly cabinet. ;)
A bit more control over colour decoder than Toshiba.
Pain to take the protective screen off given the frame design.
More image detail than the Toshiba
4 to 5 picture modes to converge as compared to one on the Toshiba.
Grayscale limited to one setting for all input signals.
Grayscale linearity is usually slightly worse than a comparable Toshiba.
Regards

Thomas Detviler

Auditioning
I have the Sony Kp51HW40 and like it alot. I had a panny 36" tau and hated it. I was constantly messing with avia in order to fine tune it. With proscan dvd it was gorgeous though. I have used my avia set-up once and have not messed with the Sony since. I think you would be happy with this RPTV.

Gaffer

Justin Ch.

Auditioning
thanks everyone, i have pretty much decided to go with the Sony. It's a bit cheaper than the Tosh, more widely available in my area, and gives an extra inch to boot :)
Now to find the best deal and im set.
/me

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks