1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Sony KF50WE610 ?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by SteveO, Jun 20, 2004.

1. SteveO

SteveO Auditioning

I just ordered the 50" LCD Grand Vega R/P TV and I was wondering if any of the members here had an opinion on this particular model.

TIA

2. SteveO

SteveO Auditioning

I just ordered the 50" LCD Grand Vega R/P TV and I was wondering if any of the members here had an opinion on this particular model.

TIA

3. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

I got the 42" version of the TV and am very happy with this TV. The picture is amazing and you'll never have to worry about burn in so you don't ever have to worry about stationary images causing ghosts on your screen. The TV is also great for video games.

You made a wise purchase.

Brion

P.S. If you have any more questions, just respond to this post and I'll try to answer them.

4. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

I got the 42" version of the TV and am very happy with this TV. The picture is amazing and you'll never have to worry about burn in so you don't ever have to worry about stationary images causing ghosts on your screen. The TV is also great for video games.

You made a wise purchase.

Brion

P.S. If you have any more questions, just respond to this post and I'll try to answer them.

5. RickMo

RickMo Stunt Coordinator

I just viewed this Sony model at CC and was very impressed with it. I was wondering what other types (LCD, Plasma, DLP, et al) you may also have considered. I've also been impressed with the Samsung DLP models. I like the PQ of both and the low-reflection factor. Of main concern, however: Sony's bad rep in regards to reliability.

6. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

The other TV I considered was an LG DLP television. I found that the Sony had a better picture but I did think the LG was pretty cool. If I were you I would try out DVDs on both the Sony and any DLPs you're looking at. That helped me make my decission.

Brion

7. SteveO

SteveO Auditioning

3 days after I got the TV it quit working. Sears sent out a service guy who just looked at the TV from 12 ft away and said it needed a new bulb. I was going to have to wait 1.5 weeks till he could get one.

I found one myself, charged it to Sears and it didn't work either.

Sears will be exchanging the TV next week and is sending over a loaner until the new one gets here.

Why me?[​IMG]

8. BrionL

BrionL Stunt Coordinator

Man that sucks. Hopefully your replacement will work for years to come.

Brion

9. KyleC

KyleC Supporting Actor

I want this TV as well, but I've decided to wait until the new model comes out in September. I saw some specs of it over at cnet.com and it looks sweet.

10. DaveDickey

DaveDickey Stunt Coordinator

I've had the 42" since November. I haven't had any problems with it until early this month. I now have a quarter-sized Green splotch on the middle top of the screen. It only shows up on dark scenes. Good thing I bought a 5 year warranty[​IMG]

Otherwise, the TV looks real nice with DVD (no HDTV yet).

11. RickMo

RickMo Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, BrionL, for the info. I'll have to take a look-see at the LG series as you mentioned. I'm leaning towards the Sony LCD but ...

Rick

12. SteveO

SteveO Auditioning

I think the salesperson is feeling sorry for me. She told me once the new and improved version comes out in the fall to call and complain about my TV. Sears will replace it with the newer one. [​IMG]

13. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

I work with them, and they are great. Very reliable and they just do their job. They give the new Samsung's a run for their money - and no rainbow's!!!

14. SteveO

SteveO Auditioning

TV was suppose to arrive yesterday but Thursday night I got a call from Sears........still back ordered.

Should be here by Wednesday........exactly one month from the day I ordered it.

They dropped the price by another $275, now I'm paying less than $3500 for a TV that they sell for $5000.

15. Travis R.

Travis R. Agent

I have the 42 inch version of this model and have had Green Ghosting problems almost from day one. A major portion in my bottom right corner is green and spills over into movie watching when dark scenes arrive. I have sent it for repairs and the repair company said Sony accepts this as an ACCEPTABLE FLAW in their LCD TV's and will not repair.[​IMG] I do not beleive in Acceptable Flaws when you are dropping 1000s of dollars to purchase it. I am currently going through my dealer where I bought it and hoping something can be done. I'm not too happy with Sony right now. Other then that the TV is beautiful but be aware of this Green Ghosting. Personally I would open up the box at the store turn it on in a dark room and see if you can see it and take home only the one that has no Ghosting. Sorry to rain on your parade but this has been my experience.

Travis

16. micah bjj

micah bjj Stunt Coordinator

I dont know the differences between the model numbers, but my Dad just bought a sony kdf-70 and its awsome. IF your model is in any way similiar you should be set.

17. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

That's what it should be anyway. The 60XBR950 lcd sells for the 5k range.

18. SteveO

SteveO Auditioning

I forgot to mention that I'm talking Canadian dollars here not USD. So I ended up paying maybe $2500 USD for my 50"

It arrived yesterday and the picture quality is outstanding. This one has a build date of June 2004 so I'm hoping there won't be any issues with this one.