What's new

Sony Kf50we610 & 60we610 (1 Viewer)

Christopher B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello!
I am a newbie here, though I have been lurking for a while now. I am about to make some big purchases and figured I'd register so I could hopefully get specific answers to some questions. The first one is pretty basic.
My fiance and I are looking to buy a new TV. We really liked the picture on the SONY KF50WE610. We thought as long as we are going to spend that much money we may as well go for the 60". The only 60" that we have seen in stock at any of the staores is the XBR model. The front of that model has the reflective screen on it, while the KF50 has a non-glare screen, which is another of the things we like about it. Does anyone know if the 60" is the same as the 50", or does the 60" have the reflective screen like the XBR model?

Thanks

Christopher

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
There are two versions of Sony's LCD Projection tvs. The WE610 models are the standard Grand Wegas. They do not have a reflective screen. Both are the same except for the size.

The XBR LCD Projections do have the glass screen front but they also have a slightly better picture. If you have the money to spend go with the XBR model. It's simply a better made tv.

Christopher B

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the quick response Danny!

We really liked the non-reflective screen because of where are TV is placed in our living room. It would be very difficult to watch movies if there is any ambient light with almost any of the projection tvs. The screen basically faces into the Dining Room, and if the lights are on or if the shades are open it is difficult to watch anything. I haven't been able to find a better solution that will work for placement of everything, except with the screen facing this way. As soo as we saw the non reflective screen we were sold.
I did some reading up on both of the TVs, and I do like some of the other features with the XBR models, but with our setup I am still feeling like we may have to do without some of those features in order to have the screen.
Are we the only ones that really like that non-reflective screen? Seeing these TVs next to any other TV in the store, we thought it looked much better without the glare. We were considering a Toshiba RPTV before seeing the SONY LCD.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Well then it sounds like the WE610 is the right one for you. They definitely do a great job without any glare problems.

Just make sure you buy a service plan with the WE610. Circuit City seems to have the best ones. It's worth it.

With some of these newer technologies it's a real good idea to cover yourself for years to come.

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
The shield on the XBR actually does a great job of dispersing light. You'll still get reflection, but it's softer. Also, the XBR is BRIGHT and should cut through any excess glare.

Christopher B

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,
We are going back to the store to check each tv out again, I definately want to make a sound purchase since I am spending this amount of money. Going from the 27" inch we have had for years, these tv's are amazing. It is easy to just be won over by the size alone! I am going to post another question about size, because we are also wondering about what is too big.

Thanks
Christopher

Ryan Heller

Auditioning
I have the KF50WE610 and I had the same glare/reflections concerns you have. My previous TV (27" Sony) had problems during the day because of glare. My TV also looks into the Dinning room/Kitchen. While this new TV does do a good job at taking out most of the glare, it is not the end all cure. Certain times during the day I will have to sit on a different couch so that I do not get any glare. I did find that if I sit on my love seat (slightly angled) during the middle of the day I will see glare. If I sit on my sofa (straight on viewing) at the same time of the day I don't get any glare.

Note that lamps and light fixtures have not shown any glare only light that comes from open windows.

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
Christopher-

There's no such thing as too big! Actually, sitting 8-10 from the 60" is optimal for me. The room I have it in is about 24' deep. I wouldn't put it in a room that's too small. What's your room size?

Users who are viewing this thread