Sony KF42WE610 display problem

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Claus Albaek, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Claus Albaek

Claus Albaek Auditioning

Hi there, Just found this site and must apologise if this has been discussed before (perhaps someone could show me a link).

I bought a Sony grand Wega September of last year and am now noticing a "milky green" discoloration on the righthand side of the screen. I have no un shielded components even close to the TV. I talked to the Sony appointed repair shop, they are coming out tomorrow, but judging from the repair guy's comments on the phone I might be in for a battle as he stated that this was common with Sony's "un perfected LCD technology" not buying it and will call Sony to let them know their authorised shops do not believe in the product if I get the same when he drops by.

Any comments or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Claus

2. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

A search here or at AVS Forum with regards to this particular set will give you more information than you really want to know. There have been many problems with the bulbs in this set, I haven't seen or heard of this particular problem.

3. Travis R.

Travis R. Agent

Hello Claus. I have recently purchased a 42" Sony Grand Wega LCD (one month ago) and I am noticing the EXACT same green discolouration in my bottom right corner. I as well do not have any unshielded speakers near the TV.
    I am curious if you have found out anything since your post. If anybody else has had this I would appreciate what you did in this instance.

Thanks.

Travis

4. Claus Albaek

Claus Albaek Auditioning

Update,

I had the Optical module changed in the TV (under warranty) which seemed to help the first month, then it was back worse than ever. It is a "shadow" on the right hand buttom side of the screen. I had a new repair company come in a do a test, they changed the screen but it did nothing. They ordered a new optical module (2nd one) as they say it can only be that. Friday I turned on the TV and POOF the whole thing just went black. I am now using the "lemon" clause in my warranty and will attempt to get a credit, spend the money adn buy a Plasma....[​IMG]

5. Travis R.

Travis R. Agent

Update:

Well my journey is still going on my TV. First I had the repair shop pick it up and they fixed a Toonie (2 dollar coin) size blotch on the screen but they proceded to tell me that the Green Ghosting in the bottom right was an exceptable flaw of the Television which I said is a load of you know what. The repair shop basically said it was my problem now because Sony was not going to authorize the repair of it and they would not get paid for it. I am [​IMG] . Anyway I then go to my dealer and tell him the story and well thank god they fought for me. However I had to take digital photos of my ghost send them to my dealer who then had to email them to their Sony rep who then did whatever Sony reps do. Long Story Short my last report as of 2 days ago which is almost 6 months since my complaint of my Green Casper is Sony is sending me a NEW TV. I believe that if I had not had a good relationship with my dealer (purchased rest of Home Theater with Him) this probably would not have happened. I hope to have the TV after this long weekend. I won't be truly relaxed until the new TV is on my stand however.....

Travis

6. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    I have the same deal with my 42". I love the set, and it's not anywhere close to the DLP rainbow problems I had. That said, I have Sears coming out to look at it today. If it's not something that looks like it will be an easy fix, I'll probably just exchange it, I've only had it 2 months.

My green discoloration is in the bottom right corner, and upper left. For example, if I have a black screen with "Game" highlighted in the upper left, I notice a slight green in that corner, and a bigger green in the right corner. Watching credits is a little annoying, but it's not something I generally notice while watching movies. (Compared to the afore mentioned DLP rainbows.)

Doug

7. Doug Miller

Doug Miller
    Service was out today. Evidently it's the Optical Block, which is basically the main component. The tech also said that when LCDs (Rear Projection LCD, let me clarify) suffer dead pixels, that it's also caused by a flaw in the Optical Block. In this case, the green haze in the corners are caused by dust that's inside of the unit. The thing is that they are sealed, so it's not something they can just open and dust out. They need to research for part availability and are getting back to me. Not a major thing and covered by my service contract, so I'll just play it by ear.

Doug

8. Ryan Mahady

Ryan Mahady Auditioning

Stuff like this is why I bought the service plan from CC whne I bought my 50" version of this TV. I go tsuch a good deal on teh TV it was worth buying the protection plan as well, especially since CC covers the bulb and most others will not.

9. Doug Miller

Doug Miller
    Ryan --

Ditto. It's worth it. I'm spending $3000 or whatever on a TV, an extra $500 to know it's going to work for 5 years or I'll get a new one (which is guaranteed to be an upgrade as technology changes), I buy it and hope that it kicks it in a few so I can get another one. The WORST that happens, is that the damn thing still works great at the end of the term. [​IMG]

Doug

10. Claus Albaek

Claus Albaek Auditioning

Well I now have a new TV (they changed all but the back plastic cabinet). I have been using my TV for about 1 full week and guess what...IT IS BACK....time to exersice the lemon clause on my extended warranty and get a refund, I am going Pioneer Plasma...what a letdown !!!