What's new

Sony KF-60XBR800 (60") vs. Samsung HLN617W (61") (1 Viewer)

If space was not an issue, the lighting were just about perfect for either one, either one was free (but only one), and you had to select by the end of the month, which one would you choose? And why?

David Judah

Screenwriter
They are both excellent sets, but I would choose the DLP. Sony has improved contrast and black level(a traditional weakness of LCD)to the point where it is very close, but I still think the Samsung is slightly better in those departments.

There should be plenty of dealers who carry both, so you should be able to judge for yourself which you prefer.

Good luck,

DJ

Mary M S

Screenwriter
The Sony for me. (bought 3 of them, - GWI and two GWII’s) While far from perfect units. I just personally prefer currently to the DLP units. I like the viewing angle better on the Sony. And my eye pics up a pixelazation (not supposed to be there) on the DLP that I feel the Sony is smoother on. I’m sitting very very close in my application to the 60” so this is an important factor to me. When I purchased the first GWI I had done a lot of research and choose it after many weeks in the storefronts . The DLP’s were just launching at that time and hard to run into, so I did not compare the two for any great length of time. We gave this set to IL’s (my husband wanted the DVI on the II which humorously enough we are not using currently!) DLP at the time of second purchase was more easily available to compare. Decided for the Sony again. When I purchased the third I offered my layperson mother ‘choice’ of similar price range plasma or any non-plasma displays she liked in the stores. It’s interesting to note to me since she and my sister were very overwhelmed by the countless big boxes in a row. When I pointed out a few things….viewing angle of plasma Vs CRT RP etc then suddenly they quickly narrowed the field to the Big Samsung DLP, Pioneer Elite, Sony LCD. Without telling her I preferred the Sony personally (although she knew I had mine) She and the sis deleted the DLP from the 3 finalists first, commenting that the pic was just not as ‘pleasing’ as the other two. (a full day before she finalized between the other two). My sister stalled over the Elite, for one afternoon then changed her mind. I ‘made’ them sit in front of each over two days shopping doing some side to side walk-bys etc. She chose the Sony. Maybe it’s family optical genetics! :) So far we’ve had GWI (2 yr.?) and GWII’s first II -over year, Moms’ - 8 months? No service issues.

They are happy with theirs out of the box. (parents). I’m more particular and mine warrants majore service mode tweaking when I can get to it.

Major grips: Some motion artifacts on occasion, one I can repeat consistently is ‘Wind in his Hair’s beaded breastplate on Dunbar as he walks from distance to foreground during one scene.
My ‘GWI” was better than my II on very dark scene detail and contrast despite Sony’s (not backed by any white paper I can find) announcement that contrast was improved on II. (could be my unit).

From what I can tell from many satisfied DPL users either would be a good choice. Enjoy your upcoming new upgrade!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks