What's new

Sony KF-60DX100 reviews? (1 Viewer)

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
One of the local stores just received this new 60" grand Wega LCD rear screen from Sony. It features the imager from the model 11 but different lamp and optics for a 6000hr lamp life.

Has anyone seen it or know of a review?

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
I'm dying to hear more about this also!

It seems to fit a bunch of the criteria I've been looking for, including:

Big (60")

HDTV compatible

LCD - so it should have better viewing angles than the normal RPTV, and I can use my PS2 on it

David

Hey, guys... just thought I'd give ya a link you may have not seen on the Grand Wega:
http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/1302
NASTY price, but... WOW on the picture! I can just lay here and fantasize about that puppy in me home!
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
If the 6000 hour bulb life is for real that would certainly be a big plus. The only knock I've read about this set is that black level is somewhat lacking.

That being said, you couldn't miss this thing in a showroom if you tried. With the $1500 stand it looks like no other. More like a plasma.

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
I saw one yesterday at J&R Music in NYC - they have it on display.

Bear in mind that J&R does an awful job of showing off their equipment, so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

My basic opinion was that it looked OK for a RPTV, but still nowhere nearly as good as a top quality plasma. Not nearly as sharp, and the color was pretty weak.

The good thing was the size - this thing is BIG!

For me, the question was do I pull the trigger on this, or keep drooling over the Runco / Marantz 61" plasmas - unfortunately, I think I will have to keep drooling for now!

Anyone else see one yet?

David

Lanny Hoff

Stunt Coordinator
I'm helping a friend install a HT system including one of these sets, so I've spent a little time with it. The bottom line is that this is one great machine. Image quality is outstanding with good source material. He has a Panasonic RP56 as a source, which is a pretty good player (if somewhat frugal compared to the set) .

We haven't done any calibration yet as it is not fully installed in it's final spot, but initial impressions are very favorable. Color and clarity are excellent, as is detail in shadowed areas. Black level is pretty darned good, but will get better as we finalize the adjustments.

Brightness across the screen is uniform and ample, with very little hotspotting. We have very few problems even in a sunny room. Viewing angles are generous by RPTV standards in both vertical and horizontal planes. The protective screen seems much less reflective than my HS10 and doesn't seem to pose an issue.

It takes a little fiddling around to get the whites really white on this set. Color temperature settings other than "WARM" result in very blue whites and almost impossibly "undead" looking flesh tones. The Warm setting seems pretty good so far.

If anyone is interested, I can post a few more details as I spend more time with this set and get to know it better.

VaugnS

Auditioning
Lanny,

Please post your experiences with this set as you continue to tweek it. thanks.

LVS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks