What's new

Sony- kdp-57ws550 1080i ? (1 Viewer)

Edward Ar

Grip
Greetings!I do'nt know if the kdp550 has 1080i lines of resolution.On the sony website the specs do not mention it's native resolution.On the model before it the kp510, it states the native resolution as 1080i.The 550 has a built in hd turner the 510 does not.On the Sony website you can compare the 510 and the 550.When the specs for both sets are next to each other it shows 1080i for 510 but for the 550 all you get is a - .Does this mean that the 550 does not have 1080i lines of resolution ? Due to circumstances I am stuck with 550.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
First off, you are a bit confused about "lines of resolution" vs 1080i.

Lines of resolution refers to the number of vertical lines that the set can display horizontally across it's screen surface (think picket fence). This is how many lines like this: llllllll the set can display from one edge of the screen to the other.

The 1080i spec refers to the number of scanlines the set "draws" across the screen from top to bottom and the fact that they are interlaced, meaning that only every other one of the total number of lines (1080 in this case) is displayed in a "pass" of the electron guns over the surface of the crts that produce the picture. These lines look like this:

Of course they're much closer together.

"Lines of resolution" is a deceptive figure as it depends on the frequency of the incoming signal just as wattage output on a receiver depends on the frequency of the audio signal. No 2 mfgs use the same baseline frequency for this spec and many don't publish one at all.

To answer your question, both the 510 and the 550 can display a 1080i scanrate for HD material. They will also display either 480p or 960i for ntsc television, and will display 480p natively from a progressive scan dvd player.

The only difference between the 2 sets is the internal ATSC as well as NTSC tuner on the 550.

All of the parts that actually display the picture are the same, so both should have the same resolution.

Edward Ar

Grip
Steve I might have phrased it the wrong way but I understnd that the 1080i refers to the scan lines the set draws "across" the screen from a hd signal.Great explanation though.Thanks for the info on the 550.This is my first rptv.It's replacing a defective 40xbr800.I wanted to be sure I would be getting a good hdtv.I plan to get isf calibration.Do the screens really reflect that much light?I have pretty good control over lighting but I do'nt think my family wants to sit in a dim room for regular tv viewing.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The reflections can be quite noticeable in a brightly lit room with dark scenes showing on the set, especially if there's a lamp or other light source that can be reflected on the screen. I don't have much problem as my windows are on a wall that's behind the tv and I keep the miniblinds partially shut when watching during the day.

At night for serious movie watching I turn off all the lights except for a 60 watt spotlight on top of the set pointing at the corner behind the set. Placing a small flourescent with a 6500k tube behind the set is better yet.

Edward Ar

Grip
I plan on having a lamp behind the set.I'll look into the 6500k tube.What do you do with your center channel speaker?The 550 has no room on top for a speaker.I was thinking about building a small stand to put in front of the tv for dvd and hd watching.Any better ideas?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Neil,

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the WS510 and WS550 convert incoming 720p to 1080i. The older HW40 series, which was basically the same set downconverted 720p to 480p, a non-issue for me as my HD stb converts 720p to 1080i before it ever gets to the set and I don't have an X-Box.

I've had 2 HD boxes and with both the 720p-1080i conversion was so good that one could not tell from the pq which HD channels were native 1080i and which were 720p. I see no reason why the conversion in the WS550 would not be just as good.

The first generation Panasonic HD-ready crt based rptvs, sold from 98 thru about 2000 or so were about the only crt based sets that would display 720p natively.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks